Best filter and aquarium kit for shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This is the one that I’m using on my shrimp tank. I squeeze it out maybe once a month and it is just one more grazing area in my tank for my shrimp and micro crabs to enjoy.

Fluval Intake Sponge (click link to see product)

My little HOB filter has never killed a shrimp and it does an excellent job for me with this little tank. The flow is adjustable and in all of the hours I spend weekly looking into my little shrimp tank I’ve never seen any evidence of adversity in my tank due to the flow from my filter.

The additional sponge over the intake is just one more place for the mechanical and biological filtration to exist. Most aquatic life keepers actually want as much filtration as they can get.

what's a prefilter? a filter for a filter to act as a protection for the filter??!?!?
as I said...hob = bye bye shrimp
heck I can run a sump with an inline pump on the intake pulling water from a sponge
would I want to be cleaning a sponge all the time? no...
circumvent it by splitting the pipe into 3 and have 3 sponge intakes for the pump?
instead of reinventing the wheel...we have sponge filters and undergravel ones that just work without the extra hassle or thinking...
"are my shrimp going to die with this or that"
A prefilter prevents shrimp from being sucked into the filter.

Nothing new or gimmicky, they've been around for years, and those who keep shrimp and know what they are doing use them all of the time.....nothing "reinvented", they're a typical part of properly kept shrimp tanks

Last edited:
I'm planning on going with red and blue neocaridina.

If you mix colours of the same species, a few generations later and there will be a lot of brown shrimp in the tank. It is usually advised to keep just one colour per tank.

If you mix colours of the same species, a few generations later and there will be a lot of brown shrimp in the tank. It is usually advised to keep just one colour per tank.
IME, mixing different colored Neos does produce a few plain brown shrimp...but several generations later, I still get more brightly colored ones than brown ones...and, some of the brown ones color up very nicely

Attachments

• Shrimp 1.JPG
    Shrimp 1.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 36
I have a 6 gallon rimless currently set up for my Cardinal shrimp. I filter the tank with an Azoo mignon hang on back filter that has a sponge cover on the intake. I also have some white neon tetras and chili rasbora in the tank with them. I have an Archea heater in there as well as the ADA aquasoil. I have some nurii crypts and an Egyptian lotus (Nymphaea micrantha) as well as an unknown plant in there. I have a ton of shrimp, just have patience as it takes a little bit for the shrimp to get started. I initially thought mine had died so I added the Tetra and rasbora but was thrilled when I started seeing shrimp and berried females.

Last edited:
what's a prefilter? a filter for a filter to act as a protection for the filter??!?!?
as I said...hob = bye bye shrimp
heck I can run a sump with an inline pump on the intake pulling water from a sponge
would I want to be cleaning a sponge all the time? no...
circumvent it by splitting the pipe into 3 and have 3 sponge intakes for the pump?
instead of reinventing the wheel...we have sponge filters and undergravel ones that just work without the extra hassle or thinking...
"are my shrimp going to die with this or that"
Something like this.

51CGIJXaWWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

All you have to do is rinse it off in old tank water when you do a water change.

Something like this.

51CGIJXaWWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

All you have to do is rinse it off in old tank water when you do a water change.
Those work well, too...I prefer the SS mesh ones though, more aesthetically pleasing, and easy to clean in hot tap water with an old toothbrush

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back