Your poll is worded ambiguously Ethos. Do you mean the most recognizable fish to a non-fishkeeper, or the "best" fish that is of an easily recognizable species? Please clarify.
Yes, I do mean as a non-fishkeeper. It was hard to word in a short sentance. I see goldfish is a popular choice.......I started the whole goldfish faze, dontch'a know........
Does it count if a fish is recognised as something other than what it is?
For example how many non-fish people know the real name of what they think of as a 'Nemo fish'?
I didn't mean people reading this thread, I meant people out there in the real world. How many of them know that Nemo is a percula(sp) clown fish?
I think it's sad when pop culture gets to rename a species. Clown fish will forever now be 'Nemo fish' to 90% of people even when they have forgotten why they call them that.
I would have said Goldfish but IMO they're not a community fish in the sense they aren't. They're a coldwater fish that doesn't mix well with the average community fish. Betta are not "community" fish either normally. Clowns are far too large to be a community fish and besides which, they're not as well known as the rest. I chose guppies instead. Only real potential choice IMO.
Yea The crackers I love em "The snack that smiles back till' you bite their heads off the snack that smiles back goldfosh" Lol that has been stuck in my head eversince I saw that commercial The goldfish I like are the extra cheese ones with flavor blast mmmmm