Beginner to new world cichlids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

zaqxswcde

Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hey all, I've never set up a dwarf cichlid tank before, but would like to simply because they look stunning. The tank I'm planning will be 100 gallons + a 50 gallon sump. The tank will be about 1.8 meters long.
I'm looking for links to comprehensive guides with good information. In particular I'm not sure how many fish I can fit in here. Species like the German Blue Ram and Electric Blue Ram and Blue Acara are of interest to me, and anything else that is bright. I have no interest in breeding so I'm not concerned if the fry are munched on. In addition, the tank will likely be on c02 and planted with driftwood. Last question: are these cichlids jumpers? I'd like to go without a cover.

Firstly, do you have soft water from your tap?
If yes, you can consider the fish that you mentioned.
Those fish mostly stay at the bottom level and they are less likely to jump out of the tank unless something really shocked them.

But in order to maximize your tank, you should consider fish that are bigger.
German Blue Ram and Electric Blue Ram will look too small in a 100 gallons tank. They are also less hardy.
100 gallons tank is a good size for Earth eater species like the Geophagus, Satanoperca, etc

Take a look at this article:

I suggest that you consider one of these: Geophagus Altifrons, Geophagus Surinamensis, Red Head Eartheater, Satanoperca Jurupari, Satanoperca leucosticta, etc. Both Satanoperca Jurupari and Satanoperca leucosticta are very peaceful fish.

Here are two websites for your info:

You can watch some of the videos here for ideas:

Last edited:
What is your GH? You should be able to find it on your local water providers website:)

Thanks for those links, I will read them after work tonight. I'm unsure of the tap water chemistry at my new house (where this tank will be), but I plan to install a tap + RO filter in the cabinet so I can automatically change water without worrying about chlorine. I guess this also means I should be able to have a fairly acidic tank.

Two reasons for my focus on dwarf cichlids. First it is so my aquascape looks bigger, and second it is so I can mix them up with some schooling fish like tetras (I like the imagery of a large school of tetras swimming over a white sandy valley). But, if this means I can only keep 2 or 3 pairs of cichlids it may indeed be wasteful.

Do eartheater cichlids play nice with small schooling fish? I should probably just read the material above to get this answer :)

Some earth eaters are peaceful like the Satanoperca Leucosticta and Satanoperca Jurupari.
You can see from the videos above that they mixed them with the schooling fish Tetras.

Usually you get a group of about six juvenile Earth Eater and let them grow together.
The big ones are expensive.
They are better in a group than just a few of them.

But if you are worried about the small Tetras(like the Neon, Cardinal Tetras), being eaten, get the bigger species of Tetras like the Rosy Tetras, Congo Tetras, Bleeding Heart Tetras, Lemon Tetras, etc.

Here are the Tetras species:

Last edited:
How many would comfortably live in a 100 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump? If I have have plants rooted in a sand substrate would they pick them out? Will they make a white sand substrate easier or harder to maintain?

How many would comfortably live in a 100 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump? If I have have plants rooted in a sand substrate would they pick them out? Will they make a white sand substrate easier or harder to maintain?

If you are getting any one of these below, a group of six of them should be no problem at all.
1)Satanoperca Leucosticta
2)Satanoperca Jurupari.
3)Geophagus Parnaibae
4)Red Head Tapajos

I think you cannot keep plants as they like to graze on the sand.
Sand is the best for Earth Eater because in their natural habitat, they will constantly shift through the sand for food.

You can also add a group of schooling fish to accompany them.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/fish.mongabay.com/eartheaters.htm?espv=1

By they way, if you are considering Dwarf Cichlids, you can consider the Apistogrammas.

Just to name a few species as there are too many and some can be very expensive.:
1)Apistogramma Cacatuoides Triple Red
2)Apistogramma Cacatuoides Orange flash
3)Apistogramma Agassizii
4)Apistogramma Bitaenita.
5)Apistogramma Trifasciata

But they are not suitable to mix with Blue Rams because they require cooler temperature than Blue Rams.

Thanks Lajos, very helpful. Yes I am considering Apistogrammas as well. In terms of hardiness where do they rank vs rams and eartheaters? Would 5 pairs fit in my tank?

Thanks Lajos, very helpful. Yes I am considering Apistogrammas as well. In terms of hardiness where do they rank vs rams and eartheaters? Would 5 pairs fit in my tank?

I think among the 3 of them, Earth eaters are the most hardy and they can live up to 8-10 years.

Blue Rams seem to be the least hardy if they come from the fish farms that are not properly raised/bred(just my opinion).

But take note that for Apistogrammas, sometimes they can be very picky eaters and they may only eat "live food" such as worms.
Don't buy adult Apistogrammas (2.5 inches or more) farms raised where they have been fed with live food all their lives.
They will refuse all pellets/flakes food unless you are prepare to provide them with live food such as brine shrimps, worms, etc.
Buy the younger ones that are from 1 to 1.5 inches in size. And they will be less aggressive.

If I'm not wrong, usually the advice is to give at least "one square feet of area" for each fish. For each pair, it will be more.
Buy different species that don't look alike to reduce aggression.
Provide enough caves for each pair and many plants to separate them.

By the way, keeping pairs of Apistogrammas are more difficult as some Apistogrammas can be very aggressive during spawning.
It's will be easier to keep just all the male only as the male are more beautiful except probably for female Apistogramma Panduro which has beautiful yellow colour.

For more information of Apistogrammas species, compatibilities, it's better that you check with the people from the forum below.
There are some experts in this forum. One of them is Mike Wise who is like Colin in this forum. LOL

Here are more info and you can join the forum and ask them:

Some info:

By the way, the most peaceful Apistogramma is the Borelli.
And I think the easiest to keep is Cacatuoides.

ALL the best.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back