Barbs And Cichlids

BobbyBray

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Alaska, USA
Quick question, most of my research on tiger bars shows that they prefer a ph of 6.5-7.5, but I've been considering mixing a school of barbs with a pair of cichlids. Possibly convicts or rainbow cichlids, but I'm not sure yet. Anyways, the place I'm staying at now has a pretty high ph straight from the tap, 8.4 or so the last time I checked. Are the bars flexible enough to be ok, or would that actually be harmful for them?

Thanks!
 
Whats the best way to do that? Get them young so they grow accustomed to the water as they grow, or attempt to dilute the water and slowly raise the ph up to the 'natural' level? I've never had to acclimate fish to a specific ph level before.
 
The Barbs will most likely be tank bred so will be fine, adding plenty of bogwood will lower the pH of the tank (not a huge amout, maybe from 8.4 - 7.8, the more wood the lower it will go). As fior introducing them to your system do it over about 30 mins. Place the bag in the tank so it floats leave it for 10 mins then take half of the water out of the bag add a cup full of water from your tank then lleave for another 10 mins then one again take half out and then add two cups of tank water and leave for another 10 mins, then net the fish up and release them into the tank, discard the water in the bag as you dont want any of the LFS water in your system.
 
If you get them from a local petstore, check their ph. If its the same, dont worry. If not, acclimate them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top