Bala Shark Sick?

Whoooops :blush: :blush: :blush:
You are probably right about that. But, I wasn't really paying attention to the avitar and my first message was actually sent by pm. My apologizes!!! :blush:
What are you treating the septicemia with? Or what should I use? Im also going to turn up the tank as I heard that may help.
Is this something that can affect my other fish?? I will go to the lfs after work, but I do need know what to get. Keep in mind (for those UK-ers) Im in the US I think some of our meds differ.
Thanks!

Ok, you will need a bacterial med for the speticemia but once it has progressed hard to cure.
You can get yellow patches that can be columnaris and that can flake so the med should help if its bacterial.
Septicemia really should issolate the fish as the bacteria from the fish can enter the tank.

Just want to check that there not yellow spots there definately patches.

Keep an eye on the fish as flaky skin can be a parasite, but you need to treat for bacterial at the moment.
Good luck.

Maracyn one and two.

Maracyn
Manufacturer: Mardel
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for gram-positive bacterial infections. For infections of columnaris (body fungus), fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, and secondary infections.
Active ingredient: Erythromycin.

Maracyn–Two
Manufacturer: Mardel
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for internal or external gram negative bacterial infections which can even be absorbed through the skin. Effective treatment of fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, dropsy (swollen body, protruding scales), septicemia (bleeding or red streaks on the body), secondary and internal infections. Effective even when fish won't eat.
Active ingredient: Mincycline hydrochlor.

http://www.nippyfish.net/flexibacter.html

Thanks Wilder -
I will go to PetSmart tonight. Patches, not spots for sure. Now these meds should be readily available here in the US. Is there a back up just in case? OR would any bacterial med do? Also, I do have pictus catfish and corys as well as ghost shrimp... Is this going to cause a problem?
If absolutely necessary, i can move them to the 10 gallon and treat them in there, but i would rather not infect that tank as well... :/ and their are cory's in there. but, they could be moved. What do you think?

*EDIT* Melafix was recommended on another forum, would that work?

Melafix won't cure septicemia its an internal bacteria septicemia, melafix only treat external bacteria infections like wounds and cuts.
Maracyn one and two won't or shouldn't harm the bacteria colony in your filter.
There plenty of antibiotic in the states but they do wipe the bacterial colony out in the filter, though there good.
I would remove the strimps, the rest like cory don't tolerate parasite meds to well but are ok with bacterial meds, as long as you increase aeration in the tank as it tough of the bottom for them as the med reduces 02 in the tank..
Plus with the bala sharks having septicemia I would treat the whole tank anyway.

http://www.fishjunkies.com/Medications/

Thanks for the link wilder. i will check out petsmart and compare with a few i wrote down that may work. i will get them after work (leaving here in just a few) I will keep you updated.
I will treat the whole tank, not sure if i will be able to get to the shrimp or not :/ They have good hiding spots. One more Q - are my loaches also ok with these antibiotics?
Thanks so much for everything

Loaches it the parasite meds more than anything as they are scaless fish.
Bacterial meds are ok as long as you increase areation in the tank.
You could issolate the bala to the 10gal, but don't know if the tank is big enough.

How many sick bala are they.

Was 3, one had to be euthanized when I got home. 2 sick balas and I AM going to put them in the 10G. I don't want to risk injuring any of my other fish. I will do the treatment in the big tank as well, but at 1/2 the dose. On my way to petsmart now, I will keep you updated!

Just got back from PetSmart and switched everyone around - that was fun :crazy: :shout:
Added my first dose of Maracyn 1 and will treat for the next 5 days. Hope it works! Will keep you updated!

*EDIT* Thank you for all of your help everyone, especially wilder!

Try and get maracyn two can use them both together.
Good luck.

Hi Wilder -
I miss-typed, I did get the Maracyn 2, it had septecemia (sp?) on the box and the Maracyn 1 didn't. I also did get another treatment recomended to go with it. A liguid - Maroxy maybe? Not sure as I am at work!
But, will check when I get home.

DO you think I should also be giving them salt-baths?? Would this help or hinder??

No I wouldn't bother with the salt just yet, let them settle there stressed.
Heard of that maroxy meant to be a good med will look it up for you.

Its fine thought it was for fungus and bacterial infections.
Maroxy
Anti-fungal for true fungus; also effective against bacteria

Good luck.

Its fine thought it was for fungus and bacterial infections.
Maroxy
Anti-fungal for true fungus; also effective against bacteria

Good luck.

Thanks so much. Will continue treatment and see how everything goes. As of last night, they were acting a bit "perkier". hope it works! Will update you when i get home from work. ;)
*EDIT* boy someone on a different forum was on fire that i used marocyn vs. melafix. but, i explained the reasoning haven't heard back from them. but, you've been recommended on here by several people so im sticking to this forum for now on!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back