Back into the Hobby

AquaGuy07

Reaction score
Ok, Iā€™ve been out of the hobby for a while. The last tank I maintained seemed to be an old tank I grabbed from a garage sale back in the 80s. Guy said it was 60 gallon. It had a slate bottom. It was drilled for a drain at the bottom only. Probably for water changes. I kept it until around 1991 then gave it away to someone several years later when I was cleaning out the garage. Anyway, Iā€™ve decided to delve back in with my nephew. Price isnā€™t going to be too much of an issue and Iā€™m either going to opt for a 200 gallon or even a 300 gallon tank as there is plenty of space and the load capacity of the floor can handle it as it was a home that used to be an old dairy barn with multiple pieces power driven equipment being driven on them daily- including pickup trucks. The beams in the basement that will be supporting the tank are absolutely HUGE 12ā€ x 12ā€.

Iā€™m considering a tank (perhaps custom) from https://www.customaquariums.com or perhaps another custom tank place folks here consider better. The tank will be stocked with small fish only. Nothing larger than 3 to 3.5-inches. That is all. Small fish only.

As for the equipment list Iā€™ve been considering so farā€”with a focus on comfort, filtration and clarity is as follows:

• Dual Canister Filters (2 x Fluval FX6) along with spray bars (and Iā€™ll note any recommendations on the spray bar brands as well). Yes, unfortunately a sump system is out of the question (for now). Also media type and amount recommendations for those canisters from folks that determined what works best would be greatly appreciated. I know there are upgrades and recommendations by folks, but Iā€™m looking for what works.

• Tank Heaters (preferably somewhere inline and out of the way) Aqua Logic, orā€¦?

• UV Sterilizer(s) (for clarity, bacteria and protozoa) I was thinking: Lifeguard 40-Watt Pro-MAX or the Aqua Classic UV (Stainless Steel models), Or some other brand considered top-of-the-line.

• [Anything else you would recommend; especially for filtration and clarity and odor]
Early on with the 60 gal., I ran an under gravel filter with 4 air bubblers then eventually 4 power heads and a big HOB filter off the side. About ever three weeks Iā€™d polish it up with a Vortex diatom filter that ran to 8 hrs. It worked out so well and the water was so crystal that I eventually ran it 24/7 with weekly maintenance. Those were the days.

Anyway, this is only a starting point, so advice and suggestions are welcome. Also, if the mods feel this thread belongs in a different area, feel free to relocate it.

Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back