Baby Whale (Mormyrid) questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tench

Reaction score
Hey, new to the forum. Been keeping some of the "easier" species of fish for years but never ventured far beyond what you'd typically find in the livebearer and tetra assortment seen in PetSmart and similar stores.

Anyway I've always had a soft spot for the African Baby Whales (never owned one) and I am in the process of shopping for a used 120+ G (something more long than tall) that will be a home for a large assortment of livebearers. So I know I've got the space but it's hard to find much online about keeping baby whales with tank mates.

Any experience and advice from someone who's kept and observed their behavior in a home aquarium? My main concern is -- do they eventually become comfortable enough in their environment that they'll actively search for food in a busy tank, or would keeping and feeding one turn into one of those turkey baster/target-feeding scenarios.

And how do they respond to aquarium salt (NOT marine salt). I keep aquarium salt in the livebearer tank at all times at the high dose (1 T / 5 G).

I'd love to see pics of anyone's personal baby whales. I have a feeling they'll continue to be a distant dream of mine for the time being and I may have to live vicariously though other keepers.

I have not personally kept any of the Mormyrids, but salt is definitely not a good thing. Mormyrids produce weak electrical fields and have electroreceptors, and dissolved substances in the water affect this. In actuality, salt is detrimental to all freshwater fish when added on a regular basis. Used for specific disease treatment short-term is one thing, but long-term use has no benefit whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Byron.

Thanks for the salt info. Seems like the advice on whether or not to use it is always changing. I'll leave it out at the next water change.

Thanks for the salt info. Seems like the advice on whether or not to use it is always changing. I'll leave it out at the next water change.

There is indeed conflicting information on salt, but the scientific data cannot be argued with reason. I wrote on article more fully explaining the issues with salt, you can find it (and others on salt) here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SaltArtHosking.htm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back