Axolotl Guidance Needed =)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tongue_Flicker

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys it has been a week since i got my axolotl and i was just curious about everything about it. My caudata.org acct was removed for some reason which is probably because i forgot to post anything a few days after i registered so i'll just be posting this here instead.

1. Is it normal for axolotls to float tail first? He normally floats and sinks but sometimes floats tail first when he spazzes out. Much like a semi-head stand but mostly just the tail float. He does swim back down once his tail touches the surface though.

2. I did a partial water change yesterday and he seemed to scratch his gills? I'm pretty sure that this is not normal. I will see to it that water conditions are back to normal. Any thoughts why?

3. He seemed okay now but i notice that he kinda flaps his gills. I know they do shrug their gills to expel carbon dioxide but do they need to flap it that hard? Lol

4. His water was clear but i noticed what appears to be 'oil blots' on the water surface. I'm feeding it earthworms, chopped/boiled/skinned freshwater shrimps and cultured blue bottle flies.

5. Should they be more on the slim side or the chubby side? I feel as if he should be much fatter. He is exactly 5 inches long

That's pretty much it for now. Thanks! :)

I have never had an axolotl but I have had newts.i can't answer all of those questions tho.
He should be more on the. Chubby side, not skinny. The oil might be coming from the worms, but it's hard to tell. the gill flapping is normal, I think

Hope this. Helped a little :)

Yeah i figured the oily residue is from one of the foods. I'll try a rotation cut-off to see which one is the culprit. Most of his weird habits are gone now. Probably just from water adjustment. Thanks for the reply though :)

hi, just came across this post browsing on google and wanted to help you with your axolotl.

i got 4 adults and 12 juveniles myself.

1. it's not normal for your axolotl to float tail first. but nothing to worry about. just make sure he doesn't have to give a lot of effort to go back to the bottom and stay there... it's kinda stressful if they can't reach the bottom. 

2. scratching gills is a indicator of stress. try to change the water in phases or add the water slowly. (take your time)

3. an axolotl needs to flap his gills to breath, sometimes he flaps them hard sometimes slow, nothing to worry about.(you do have to worry if he keeps flapping them over and over and over without pauzes...add a oxigen pump to the tank or raise the water outlet of your filter pump above the water level)

4. food.

5. they should be chubby. a healthy axolotl has its belly as fat as its head (or almost as fat).

hope i helped :) 

p.s. these are mine: 
DSC00505Large.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back