Axolotl Breeding - Need Help Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AnimalLover96

Reaction score
Hi, my two axolotls have recently decided to breed for the first time. I only found out this morning when I realised some of the eggs are already hatching. I don't really know what to do. I have a filter in and working, should I leave this on? Should I lower the water level? Should I take the parents out? I don't know what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

First of all, welcome to the forum! I wouldnt expect anything until tomorrow because only a few people are on right now. But there Re definately some Axolotl breeders on here.

Hi, AnimalLover. I got your message :) I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to other sites but this one is owned by me and should explain pretty much everything. In terms of the filter, an air/sponge filter will be better for them when they're young. They don't cope very well with strong currents and may get sucked into the filter as hatchlings. The best thing you can do for them now is make sure there's a large surface area in the tank or tub, make sure the water's not too deep and get a microworm culture going. They can be bought very cheaply from ebay and are a good first food, as are newly hatched brine shrimp. Good luck and congrats on your brood! :good: let me know if you need any more help :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back