Arowana Eyes

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pind4070

Reaction score
My arowan is 7in and has had ping pong balls in the tank for months now. I have only ever fed him floating food or make him take it from my hand at the surface if it does sink. About 2 weeks ago he ramed the side of the 180g tank really had busting of one of his barbs and a few days later I noticed that the same side that the barb was missing his eye had a slight drop

Since I noticed the eye I have blacked out the sides of the tank except for 3in at the top with black garbage bags and believe it or not I have seen a slight improvement.

I cant leave these in place for ever and was wondering has anyone ever tried that film that you can put on glass that is one way viewing so I can see into the tank but the fish cannot look out and hence down? Also I saw something about using blinking christmas tree lights in the canopy of the tank to keep the aro's attention which should work better than ping pong balls anyone ever tried this?

Well some people think that drop eye in a arowana is caused in glass tanks from the arowana looking down outside of the tank at things. Often people claim that after putting their aro in a pond, fiberglass tank or covering up the sides of their glass tank the drop eye will improve. I covered the sides of my tank for the last week and half and noticed a slight improvement. But I dont want to leave my tank covered up forever what is the point of having the fish if you cant see them. So I thought about that film that you can put on glass that allows for one way viewing so I can see inside the tank but the fish cant see out. Also I read somewhere about putting flashing christmas lights above the tank instead of static ping pong balls to attract the aro's attention so they look up to prevent drop eye has anyone tried this idea?

Its not just that its also bad water quality that contributes to drop eye. If its a silver its just par of the course pretty much 9 out of 10 silvers will get drop eye. I believe its got to do something with all the breeding and the genetics of the fish. People with most success of keeping drop eye at bay are people with wild caught silvers but then they still end up with drop eye at some point. To be honest mate there is not that much you can do there are things that people say may work but all in all they still end up with drop eye anyways. If its not a silver and its an Asian then there not prone to drop eye and that will be down to bad water quality feeding from the bottom also people say lots of fatty food will do it. As for the broken barbels if they are not snapped at the base they should grow back just keep the water real clean and you should be ok.

Its not just that its also bad water quality that contributes to drop eye. If its a silver its just par of the course pretty much 9 out of 10 silvers will get drop eye. I believe its got to do something with all the breeding and the genetics of the fish. People with most success of keeping drop eye at bay are people with wild caught silvers but then they still end up with drop eye at some point. To be honest mate there is not that much you can do there are things that people say may work but all in all they still end up with drop eye anyways. If its not a silver and its an Asian then there not prone to drop eye and that will be down to bad water quality feeding from the bottom also people say lots of fatty food will do it. As for the broken barbels if they are not snapped at the base they should grow back just keep the water real clean and you should be ok.

Yeah it is a silver aro and I keep my water pristine so that isnt the problem. I agree as well there must be some genetic component for the silver

I thought my silver had managed to avoid drop eye as it reached 27 inches with no signs of it but then within a matter of weeks it developed it badly in the left eye, i think as others have said the condition is pretty much unavoidable in silver arowana's.

Most reactions

Back