Are these just Diatoms?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Obviously, that is a Good Thing, but the excess algae and fungus is there because there are excess nutrients for it to feed off.
Diatoms is not algae from what I've read, I don't seem to have any algae in the tank. I can't stop feeding my fish but I guess I could hold back some and see what happens.

Diatoms is not algae from what I've read, I don't seem to have any algae in the tank. I can't stop feeding my fish but I guess I could hold back some and see what happens.
Then you haven't read the right items, I'm afraid. Diatoms are a major group of algae...tiny, single cells of plant life and needed to be treated as such.

Should I take each driftwood out and scrub them off with a new toothbrush, trying to get all the fungus off as possible?

Ok, but don't they eventually lose out to green algae and plants? Maybe I'm not leaving my lights on long enough, or maybe too long. I have a fluval aquasky. Sunrise is set for an hour, then 8 hours of normal light, then an hour of sunset.
Not necessarily.
Higher plants can and will generally beat algae, but there have to be more of them than appears in your tank.
Your Aquasky isn't using the Plant Boost setting, is it? ;)
Too much light a cause of excess algae...and an excess of nutrients.

Not necessarily.
Higher plants can and will generally beat algae, but there have to be more of them than appears in your tank.
Your Aquasky isn't using the Plant Boost setting, is it? ;)
Too much light a cause of excess algae...and an excess of nutrients.
Didn't know there was a plant boost setting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back