are the co2 bubbles supposed to pop?

danski

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my co2 ladder is bubbling away but im wondering if the bubbles are supposed to just rise to the top or pop. mine just float to the top. so how does the co2 actually get into the water? im starting to get hair algae and black spots on my plants and i think im spending way too much time and money with this thing. i thought id be fine with some low light plants a good light weekly water changes and african rootwood but its starting to become way more than i thought. i hope i dont give up and just go back to plastic.

If you watch the air bubbles as they float up the ladder you'll notice they shrink in size.
this is the bubble "dissolving" in the water, thus putting C02 into your water.
There are ways to get more of this "dissolving" of the bubbles into your tank but thats another story.
After they rise through the ladder they will float to the top and sometrimes pop right away, or sometimes float along the top for awhile before they pop.
With the addition of C02 you should have proper amount of light as well, based on the size of your tank...thats another story as well.
And, with C02 and proper lighting. you may need to be dosing with ferts as well.
KN03, k2s04, and micro nutrients to name3 a few.

All of the above need to be dosed on the size of your tank, so you'll need to figure that out as well.

The folks here will walk ya through it all. :D

Check this link out, I'm sure it will help ya get started.

http://www.plantedtank.net/fertilizers.html

:D

Generally you want at least 2.5 watts per gallon of light.
Take your tank size in gallons and divide by the amount of wattage your lights are.
(this is the most basic way to figure out your WPG)

Most of the ferts you buy in the liquid frm have dosing instructions on them so thats easy enough.

Other ferts can be in a dry form, theres a calculator I, or someone can give you a link too in the event you decide to get some dry ferts.

Then after you get the hang of all of it, you can start playing around with how often you fert and how much you add each time, there are general rules of thumb for this, but I find each scenerio is different with different needs that need to be dosed accordingly.
Test kits help you figure out exactly what you need with this type of dosing
schedule.

There is a link near the bottom of the page (the link above) that links you to " "Chucks Planted Pages".
Here you'll find a calculator to help you figure out how much of certain ferts you need to add to your tank.

It can and may seem overwhelming, but there are a tonne of people here that will help you through each step. :D

Most reactions

Back