Are My X-ray Tetras...x-ray Tetras

peesa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a Hexagon tank with what I beleive to be (or I was sold as) 5 x-ray tetras and two guppys

But ive been looking up pics of xray tetras and they all have red tails and black and yellow marked fins, mine have neither!!

Is this something that will appear as they mature as at the moment they appear more the coloring of gongo's

any advice?

If they haven't the red tail and black and yellow marks on the dorsal fin, dosnt sound like x rays tetra's.

they dont not have any marking of that nature at all.

Here are some pics can you identify them from these?

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from those pics, could you take some more? Turn the room lights and camera flash off, and just leave the tank lights on.

Those are pretty bad pics but I can tell ya with about 95% certianty that those arent Pristella (or X-ray) Tetras.

Admittedly it's difficult to tell from the pic, but glowlights can look different depending on age/sex/lighting/general health and type of glowlight (albino etc)..... as this link shows

Google images of Glowlight Tetra's !

The overall shape is 'tetra', there is a definate orange lcolouration running along the body with a clear tail and silver underside. Cant tell it they have any orange marking around the eyes though.

...... It's been a couple of years since I've kept Glowlights, but they are the closest thing I can come up with based on the pics :look:

One thing is for sure ... they aren't X-ray's !

Regrds
Mr G

sorry i cant get a good pic guys i just dont seem to get a clear pic whatever i do with the lights.

Its so weird i really dont know what they are.

They do seem bigger than any tetra ive seen and rounder and they do not have any colour at all just a cloudy white sort of shade all over?!

They look like female congo tetras to me ;)

this is a few of ours - the long fins are the males - top left is a female.

congos.jpg

this is an x-ray (Prestilla) Tetra - ours have doubled in size and have always had these markings...

prestilla.jpg

Hey SmithRC looking at your pic i think they probably are female congos defo not males but the female could be a possibility!!

The shop was way off selling them as x-rays! :/ doesnt the lack of red tail and yellow/black fin not give it away just shows u cant trust everything your told in the LFS's

Thanks thats the best matching i can find so far - they dont seem like any other kind of tetras, is it true congos actually get around 8cm??

Hey SmithRC looking at your pic i think they probably are female congos defo not males but the female could be a possibility!!

The shop was way off selling them as x-rays! :/ doesnt the lack of red tail and yellow/black fin not give it away just shows u cant trust everything your told in the LFS's

Thanks thats the best matching i can find so far - they dont seem like any other kind of tetras, is it true congos actually get around 8cm??

yep - ours are about 6 at the moment :)

Wow!!

Wasnt expecting that!! I did always think they seemed a little big to be x-rays! Oh well at least now i know.

Is there any fish i should defo stay away from with the congos?

I'll need to read up on them now instead of reading info on xrays :/ lol

Most reactions

Back