What's new

Are my guppies pregnant?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Al1ce

Reaction score
Hi I’ve uploaded a video can anyone tell me if my two guppies are pregnant, the one with the yellow tail and the one with blue shadow tail, pls ignore the particles in water as Iv just done a water change so waiting for things to settle down. Thanks

They certainly look pregnant to me. Really, if you have males with females, you can be sure that you will have babies in no time. ;)

Any female guppy that's been in a tank with a male for 5 minutes during the last 6 months will be at some stage of pregnancy. Even in a female only tank because they can store sperm for up to 6 months.

Any female guppy that's been in a tank with a male for 5 minutes during the last 6 months will be at some stage of pregnancy. Even in a female only tank because they can store sperm for up to 6 months.
Aw she has just gave birth it was so amazing to watch, it’s our first time with fish having babies after our last pregnant guppy died, I put the fry and birth box in earlier and she was inspecting it, thought I’d let her get use to it first, then she started hiding behind it, so I put her in and 2 hrs later she started having them, so Iv counted 10 so far in total, that are all swimming around, but there are some in a ball like not developed I took a picture, are these likely to recover? And how long should I leave her in the top section for before releasing?

Attachments

• B9CA112E-31EA-4B2B-BD0E-E8525E0732AB.jpeg
    B9CA112E-31EA-4B2B-BD0E-E8525E0732AB.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DBF75E16-B717-4471-8618-BAF791FA1A6E.jpeg
    DBF75E16-B717-4471-8618-BAF791FA1A6E.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 61
Someone who is more familiar with livebearers will probably correct me, but those look like the guppy equivalent of stillbirths.

You need to release the female as soon as she finishes giving birth. Those tiny boxes are very stressful for adult females. The ideal would be to keep her away from male guppies for a few days to get some rest, but that would need two tanks, one for males and one for females.

Someone who is more familiar with livebearers will probably correct me, but those look like the guppy equivalent of stillbirths.

You need to release the female as soon as she finishes giving birth. Those tiny boxes are very stressful for adult females. The ideal would be to keep her away from male guppies for a few days to get some rest, but that would need two tanks, one for males and one for females.
Thanks for the info, she has 17 in total now, all the other fish are hovering because there is live babies in there, I’m sure they r just food to them though, unfortunately I don’t have a seperate tank, and I am not sure how long they give birth for or is she is done, so shall I release her in the morning, she looks ok and I fed her some flakes before and she ate them all.

You could release her now. If half of the 17 survive that's 8 extra fish you have to find space for. She is also going to have more fry, probably every month. By that time your fry will be producing fry. Conversely if you leave her till morning she may have eaten all of them. It would be great for you to watch these little guys growing up but after that it may be better just to let nature tak its course. They don't call them millionfish for nothing.

You could release her now. If half of the 17 survive that's 8 extra fish you have to find space for. She is also going to have more fry, probably every month. By that time your fry will be producing fry. Conversely if you leave her till morning she may have eaten all of them. It would be great for you to watch these little guys growing up but after that it may be better just to let nature tak its course. They don't call them millionfish for nothing.
Yes that makes lots of sense, my parents have a huge tank aswell so she will be having some when they have grown a bit, thanks for all the support, such a love experience for the kids to see as well.

I have just noticed out of the 20 babies, there is 1 black one, I thought they are all clear white when born and don’t have any colour?

Attachments

• 5BCD7097-6FF5-4B3B-94F1-0C18A0C43306.jpeg
    5BCD7097-6FF5-4B3B-94F1-0C18A0C43306.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 58
  • D291AE51-37EA-47EC-8767-7A01B63B54BC.jpeg
    D291AE51-37EA-47EC-8767-7A01B63B54BC.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 69

Most reactions

trending

Back