Are Discus Aggressive?

tennis4you

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA - Ohio
I have been wondering about discus fish recently and if they are very aggressive. I would love to get a few for my 125g gallon tank but not sure they are compatible with what I have. My tank is stocked with what is shown below.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!
_________________
125G Fresh Water Tank - Mod. Planted: (1) 9" Ghost Knife Fish | (2) 8" Rope Fish | (2) 6" Bala Sharks | (2) 3" Bala Sharks |
(6) Red Tailed Tetra | (1) Blue Tailed Tetra | (2) Mollies | (5) Giant Danios | (1) 6" Pleco | (1) Mystery Snail
 
I have been wondering about discus fish recently and if they are very aggressive. I would love to get a few for my 125g gallon tank but not sure they are compatible with what I have. My tank is stocked with what is shown below.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!
_________________
125G Fresh Water Tank - Mod. Planted: (1) 9" Ghost Knife Fish | (2) 8" Rope Fish | (2) 6" Bala Sharks | (2) 3" Bala Sharks |
(6) Red Tailed Tetra | (1) Blue Tailed Tetra | (2) Mollies | (5) Giant Danios | (1) 6" Pleco | (1) Mystery Snail

Discus are the KINGS of fish and require special attention. I think with your fish combination it would be a no no, other fast moving fish can stress the Discus, the ph required for a Discus will not suit all fish, neither will the increased temps. Plecs can stick to the side of a Discus to eat the mucus that builds on them.

Best thing is to build a tank around Discus and only add fish that r compatible. Neons, Rams, BristleNose plec, Clowns. Hope I got this right.

Also think bout tank size, these are very messy fish and require excellent water conditions.
 
i agree with julioarca, they are not agressive towards other fish just a little between themselves. But they cannot take agression from other fish very well and prefer to live with more peaceful slower moving fish, and there is their water conditions to consider also.
regards Angel
 
Thanks you two, that is what I needed to know. I will cross them off of te list of compatible fish for me for now. :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top