Aquarium Temperature

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luchia

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Wanted to ask about Aquarium Heaters.
Recently bought a Fluval E Series 100W for my Fluval Roma 90(90 litres, 23G)
The Fluval Rep said this was perfect size for my Aquarium, I was tempted to go for the 200W but was told it would be overkill.
Had to get the heater in a bit of a crisis as my current heater failed.
The Temp when putting the heater in was 23C and that was around 1pm, it has now increased to 24.5C(3pm) the heater is set to 26C so was curious how long it will take to get upto temp?
I have tested the water with a Thermal Gun and it shows 25.3 on the gun.

Hoping someone can advise, really hoping I didn't buy the wrong heater but the rep said the 100W was good upto 120 Litres.
She said it worked out at 4.1W per Gallon and the safe range was 2.5 to 5.0W, I have also placed the heater near the filter inlet(Fluval 107 external filter) as she said this would be an ideal placement as the flow from the outlet is aimed that way so it would benefit from In and Out flow

Thank you

Hi everyone!

Wanted to ask about Aquarium Heaters.
Recently bought a Fluval E Series 100W for my Fluval Roma 90(90 litres, 23G)
The Fluval Rep said this was perfect size for my Aquarium, I was tempted to go for the 200W but was told it would be overkill.
Had to get the heater in a bit of a crisis as my current heater failed.
The Temp when putting the heater in was 23C and that was around 1pm, it has now increased to 24.5C(3pm) the heater is set to 26C so was curious how long it will take to get upto temp?
I have tested the water with a Thermal Gun and it shows 25.3 on the gun.

Hoping someone can advise, really hoping I didn't buy the wrong heater but the rep said the 100W was good upto 120 Litres.
She said it worked out at 4.1W per Gallon and the safe range was 2.5 to 5.0W, I have also placed the heater near the filter inlet(Fluval 107 external filter) as she said this would be an ideal placement as the flow from the outlet is aimed that way so it would benefit from In and Out flow

Thank you
itll work just be patient, sometimes they are not accurate so maybe keep on testing and adjust up or down

itll work just be patient, sometimes they are not accurate so maybe keep on testing and adjust up or down
Thank you :D
Just checked it now(4pm) and still showing 24.5C
Just hoping I didn't get the wrong size, the tank is 90L and the Fluval Rep said 100W was more than enough

Thank you :D
Just checked it now(4pm) and still showing 24.5C
Just hoping I didn't get the wrong size, the tank is 90L and the Fluval Rep said 100W was more than enough
yes so turn it up cautiously a little bit see if that improves. gotta test and repeat

Sgooosh is correct the temp settings on aquarium heaters are rarely correct, so you will have to adjust it according to what your thermometer is reading. The safest rule for heater size is 5 watts per gallon, so 100w is good for your size aquairum.

Sgooosh is correct the temp settings on aquarium heaters are rarely correct, so you will have to adjust it according to what your thermometer is reading. The safest rule for heater size is 5 watts per gallon, so 100w is good for your size aquairum.
Works out at 4.1W Per Gallon

That's ok but a safer number and way easier to use is 5 watts per gallon.
Think it would be worth sending it back and ordering the 200W?
Not sure how returns work on Amazon

Think it would be worth sending it back and ordering the 200W?
Not sure how returns work on Amazon
23 x 5 is 115 watts so 100 watts is close enough, 5 watts per gallon rule is not a hard rule. You can round up or down considering which way is closest to the size you need. Just makes it easier to remember and use because it is a good round figure.

But and there always is a but, sometimes it depends on the room temp and how much work the heater has to do in order to keep the temp in the tank that is needed.

23 x 5 is 115 watts so 100 watts is close enough, 5 watts per gallon rule is not a hard rule. You can round up or down considering which way is closest to the size you need. Just makes it easier to remember and use because it is a good round figure.

But and there always is a but, sometimes it depends on the room temp and how much work the heater has to do in order to keep the temp in the tank that is needed.
Room temp is kept between 18-19C for Chinchilla

Just been to check and thankfully it is now showing 25.5C, I did up the temp to 27C on the heater so hoping it continues to increase, I've checked with thermal gun and thermometer and they are both showing 25C to 25.3C

As mentioned, "set" points on heaters are really just a guide and you should always use the actual water temperature from a thermometer to set the operating temperature.

As mentioned, "set" points on heaters are really just a guide and you should always use the actual water temperature from a thermometer to set the operating temperature.
I've set it to 26.5 and will check temp in a few hours with my thermal gun :D so far it is at 25.8

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back