Aquarium Sand

matt_storey

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i currently have course gravel in my tank which i have researched to not be too great for the corys and clown loaches...

becuase of this I want to replace it with sand. i have a Juwel Rekord 800, its 80x35cm on the floor. how much sand will i need to buy?

Also if you can recommend a cheap place to buy it id appreciate it.

Everyone seems to state that Argos play sand is a very cheap and viable option......just ensure that you wash it plenty to remove all the dust first.

Aquarium branded stuff is pretty much the same......just lots more expensive.

Everyone seems to state that Argos play sand is a very cheap and viable option......just ensure that you wash it plenty to remove all the dust first.

Aquarium branded stuff is pretty much the same......just lots more expensive.
As said above argos sand is good but it will need a really good wash

Argos sand is the way to go. I put about 38 kg in my 180 litre, which is 100 X 40 cm. so i would go for 30kg or there abouts for your tank.

Sounds a lot & it would be at aquarium sand prices. Argos playsand is £3.05 for 15 kilos so is a much cheaper option.

Argos Play Sand

It depends how deep you want the sand, I used 1 bag to fill my 200 litre tank. 4ft wide by 16inches deep (ish) I used argos play sand aswell and am planning on using it for a new tank I am setting up. As long as you give it a good wash it will be great for your tank!

THANKS!!! been to argos, 1 bag seems to be enough. ive rinsed and added and the waters gone pretty cloudy, is this to be expected? it is sand i guess.

1 last question, when using a gravel vac wont I suck up the sand?

Awesome:) sounds simple enough. The water is still slightly cloudy so im gonna do a 50% water change so theres some clean water in.

I set up a tank with argos play sand last week and although it looks good I'm having a few problems with it as it's just too fine. There's sand particles constantly circulating in the water making it look cloudy, the filters are covered with it and it doesn't support plants very well. I'm a bit concerned about my endlers possibly digesting sand particles. Does anyone have any ideas on what to either cap it with or mix with it that will keep my corys happy?

Most reactions

Back