Aquarium light height

gilpi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Anyone has any "creative" ideas on how to raise an aquarium light? I'm using an Aquaneat LED with the sliding brackets, awesome light btw, and very thin low profile. The light is strong enough but a bit higher would light up the whole aquarium nicely.

The light unit should be close to the water surface (for an aquarium, a terrarium is different). The higher the light, the less it will penetrate the water. This is important if there are plants. As for lighting the whole aquarium, most lighting units are linear and intended to sit end to end, somewhere around the middle front to back or slightly back of this.

Another issue is that the higher the light source is above the tank frame, the more difficult it is to enjoy the aquarium because you have light shining in your eyes, unless you build some sort of box enclosure. Having the light unit across the frame end to end usually works very well.

The light unit should be close to the water surface (for an aquarium, a terrarium is different). The higher the light, the less it will penetrate the water. This is important if there are plants. As for lighting the whole aquarium, most lighting units are linear and intended to sit end to end, somewhere around the middle front to back or slightly back of this.

Another issue is that the higher the light source is above the tank frame, the more difficult it is to enjoy the aquarium because you have light shining in your eyes, unless you build some sort of box enclosure. Having the light unit across the frame end to end usually works very well.
Thank you for your input. This has already been thought of as I would put a small strip in front of the light to prevent it from shining in my eyes. About 2-3 inches higher would be ideal to light up the whole aquarium nicely. BTW, it is not a planted tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back