Aqua 40 Ok For Guppys?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
ok so now my 1st aqua 40 has been set up i wish to make it into a little guppy paradise.

im not sure how many litres the tank is, as the leaflet and websites have conflicting info? one says 25L, another says 35L and another says 40L! im thinking its around 25-30L as i had to nearly fill the bucket 3 times.

roughly how many guppys could i have in there? its been 20 years since i last owned a guppy so need to refresh my memory on them!
i have 20 small guppys in quarantine at the moment, they are roughly 1-2 months old but once they are adult size i guess thats too many for in there?

Hi, Spishkey!
Congrats on the babies - 20's quite a lot.
I'm guessing that's around a 5 gallon tank?
I'm also guessing you'l be planting a fair bit in there?
Are those the larger fancy-type guppies with the big tails, which are usually recommended to have a 10 gallon tank or larger?
Or smaller 'wild-type' guppies?

there is two adults and 18 babies, the adults are the small type, with the female being the largest at about an inch and a bit? (as opposed to the monster mama's ive seen in the local fish shop which must be 2 inches plus!!! cant say they have big tails, the female is dull (grey+dark yellow) with a short rounded stump of a tail, the male is orange and purple body with a wispy tale.

like neither of those lol!
kind of inbetween the two i guess?

hang on will get a pic

sorry it aint so clear but he wont keep still

here he is by the white rock

100_1933.jpg

Spishkey, does the tail appear even and normal, but wispy, or uneven?
Looks rather like a Fancy with finrot or a gnawed caudal, from what I can see, but I'll wait for an expert to pronounce ID, since I'm very much not one.

Edit - beautiful fish, by the way.
The colours are amazing, and it could be a lyretail with irregular edging I suppose?
Apparently I don't get a very clear picture on this compared to newer 'puters...

As it's about 6 gallons I wouldn't add any more than 4-5 of one sex or the other to be honest.

will catch the bugger later and get you a close up. no i dont think its fin rot or gnawed, thats just how the tail is, the other males in the tank at the blokes place (guessing they were male relatives of this fish as they all looked the same?) had the same style tail. its not raggedy its pretty symetrical in regards to the pattern, but i'll have to get that close up to show you what i mean! :)

I have found that guppies breed way to much and that my 29 gallon-127 litre tank is not nearly enough to keep up with these breeders. although my second brood gave me these crooked gems.

ier1w15p39o0pd61d3d9.jpg

oh gosh what causes something like that, too much inbreeding or something? can they swim properly? ive seen guppys with a spine that bends but never anything like that!

also if they breed (which with having a male there im sure they might!) that is no problem as i have plenty of other tanks to house any before they go to new homes/lfs etc :)

Most reactions

Back