apistogramma species and tanks and breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dhjaksu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so I currently have 2 female macmasteri and 2 male panduro living in my 55 gallon tank. they all get along well enough (no obvious aggression between any of them, all active and not shy and just ignore each other for the most part).
anyway I'm getting a pair of borellii opal soon (ordered online already). but after placing the order for these borellii someone offered to trade one of my macmasteri females with one of their males as i have 2 females and they have 2 males. I couldn't turn down the offer.

but that causes some issues. I was planning on putting the pair of borellii in my 20 gallon tank for housing and breeding them. but now I'm wondering if I should put the pair of macmasteri in the 20gal and borellii in the 55gal. then I'd just have to worry about whether my panduro males would be aggressive towards my borellii pair or whether the borellii pair would be too aggressive towards the panduro males or other tank mates. one of my panduro males has a swim bladder issue its had since before I got it so I wouldn't want it getting into any fights. it gets around the tank fine and eats fine and is probably the most confident and out in the open the most but isn't nearly as agile as the other apistos.

opinions on what i should do? next biggest spare tank is 9 gallons. all tanks are heated and have sponge filers and are heavily planted.

Apistogramma borellii is a considerably smaller fish than macmasteri or panduro. It's also a quieter fish, and as an adult, at half the size of a male macmasteri, it would lose badly in conflict.

I say this as someone who has kept all 3 species for 2 to 3 generations each (but 15 years ago). They won't have changed.

I would keep the panduro and macmasteri together, unless someone offers you a female panduro! Then you need to get a tank. But male panduro aren't likely to be able to fight a female macmasteri, and she is likely to become very territorial once she sees a male.

next biggest spare tank is 9 gallons. all tanks are heated and have sponge filers and are heavily planted.
How long is this 9 gallon? 45cm should be ok for a pair of macmasteri or borelli.

Most reactions

Back