API GH/KH Test Kit Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This presents some issues. The Peacock Gudgeon (Peacock Goby) prefers softer water. The WCM Minnows should manage though it is high for them (GH at 20 dGH).
Yeah, it worries me a bit. I didn't know too much about the water hardness levels for each fish until very recently. I guess hardness never occurred to me much as important until I saw the shimmy in the molly.
I honestly do not have much hope for the molly. I'm sorry, but it is just that the fish needs minerals from the water in order to function and once symptoms appear I've no idea if the fish can remedy itself.
Yeah..you are right...I'm just gonna try and give it the best water quality I can give it in his time left.

@Byron, I genuinely thank you for all the help these past few days. If you have any last things to tell me, please don't hold back. I just want you to know that you've helped me a lot these past two days with understanding the water hardness, and for putting up with my questions. Thank you :)

You are most welcome. I'm not sure just what to suggest going forward, but I would be concerned over water running through the "softener" which might be something to avoid. The water pre-softener seems quite hard, so fish like livebearers will be OK.

Just a little update. The molly survived this situation and thrived on for another few months. He sadly passed away about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for an update. Just to tie this all up...the GH of the water was/is way too soft for mollies, and it had a detrimental effect and this is not reversible. The molly lasting as long as it has is longer than I would have expected under the circumstances outlined in this thread, but it was inevitable that it could not live anywhere close to its normal lifespan in soft water. Another lesson learned, to help in the future.

Thanks for an update. Just to tie this all up...the GH of the water was/is way too soft for mollies, and it had a detrimental effect and this is not reversible. The molly lasting as long as it has is longer than I would have expected under the circumstances outlined in this thread, but it was inevitable that it could not live anywhere close to its normal lifespan in soft water. Another lesson learned, to help in the future.
Yes, the help you provided was so beneficial, and I did the best I could to give him a better life. After that situation, he perked up with even more character than before, which was ensuring. I'll miss him for sure, but all life has it's time and its good to know that he passed away in peace.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back