Aphyosemion breeding questions

Max09

Reaction score
I don't have any extra 5 gallons tanks, can I put my pair of Lyretail killis in a small critter keeper or vase to spawn? I would only do this for a day or two, but I am not sure if they would spawn/lay eggs at all or if this is a completely good idea to start with. I would probably put some java moss and a water lettuce where they could spawn and where I could collect the eggs.

Also, do they spawn regularly, I have found two babies and raised em up, but unfortunately one mysteriously disappeared and the other jumped so now I am back at the drawing board and do will the spawn on the vegetation and or are the eggs relatively easy to see?

Thanks!

In tiny containers, aggression becomes an issue. I know people who breed them in 2 gallon tanks. I use nothing smaller than a 5, but that's me, not a general rule.
It can be a well covered flat shallow pan.
Have you ever used a spawning mop?

In good conditions, they will lay a small number of eggs every day. They tend to take breaks though. If you separate the pair and give them live food, you can get 15-20 eggs when you put them back together.

In tiny containers, aggression becomes an issue. I know people who breed them in 2 gallon tanks. I use nothing smaller than a 5, but that's me, not a general rule.
It can be a well covered flat shallow pan.
Have you ever used a spawning mop?

In good conditions, they will lay a small number of eggs every day. They tend to take breaks though. If you separate the pair and give them live food, you can get 15-20 eggs when you put them back together.
No, I never used a spawning mop, does it produce more eggs than java moss or floating plants? Or is it just easier to collect eggs?

it's easier to collect, then you can incubate the eggs in a separate container and usually raise more fry.

It can be done in smaller containers . The standard for small killifish , like your australeā€™s , is a 2 1/2 gallon . One very successful killifish breeder I read about used gallon jars . The idea behind using a small container is to keep the pair in close proximity to each other all the time . In larger aquariums they spread out and donā€™t interact as much or so goes that opinion . I have a pair in a ten gallon and when they want to get frisky they do . I hope you have better luck with yours than I have . I had three pairs and was gifted with only one fry . Iā€™m down to my last pair and still no new volunteers .

No, I never used a spawning mop, does it produce more eggs than java moss or floating plants? Or is it just easier to collect eggs?
The only fry that I mentioned appeared in an aquarium with no mop but dense Java Moss . Another thing I noticed was that the pair appeared to be spawning into duckweed roots . As tiny as that one fry was the adults left him alone .

it's easier to collect, then you can incubate the eggs in a separate container and usually raise more fry.
Iā€™m breaking into this thread with a question. Can golden lyre tails thrive in water with a GH of 180 ppm.? Thanks.

Killifish lore, like dwarf liquid lore, notes that eggs in harder water don't hatch. It's possible that as they expand by taking in water, their adaptations to mineral poor water over load them oin mineral rich environments. The shells are too hard, or the sperm are killed. If I could breed up 25 australe in a week of eggs in soft water, I'd be lucky to find 2 or 3 fertile eggs that might not be able to hatch in 140ppm water.

Killifish lore, like dwarf liquid lore, notes that eggs in harder water don't hatch. It's possible that as they expand by taking in water, their adaptations to mineral poor water over load them oin mineral rich environments. The shells are too hard, or the sperm are killed. If I could breed up 25 australe in a week of eggs in soft water, I'd be lucky to find 2 or 3 fertile eggs that might not be able to hatch in 140ppm water.
Killifish lore . This Killifish sub-hobby is like nothing else in the greater aquarium hobby . I have read and heard so many different things about breeding and water conditions that I canā€™t keep them all straight . Seems every Killifish keeper has a secret method , which they are always willing to share , but that method rarely works for me . My frustrations stem from this Aphyosemion australe . This fish has been a tough nut to crack for me . I think all Killifish keepers should wear pointy hats with moons and stars on them and dress in robes while chanting things like ā€œmop , mop , eggs in the mopā€ . They could dance around with vials of eggs in their pockets and watch the mail for fish instead of their aquariums . These are beautiful and fascinating fish but not for the impatient .

When I was keeping killifish I had a few pairs in 18 inch tanks. I had a thin layer of brown gravel on the bottom, a clump of Java Moss and Water Sprite on the surface. There was an air operated sponge filter and heater and a coverglass.

I fed the adults 3-5 times a day with a variety of live and frozen foods and used to scoop the newly hatched from out from among the Water Sprite leaves.

I had very soft water (GH less than 50ppm) and a pH around 8.0. I got heaps of male offspring.

Soft water, lots of food and lots of plants so the parents can't see the eggs or fry and eat them.

Most reactions

Back