anyone here

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

dreams

Reaction score
i was out most the day, and forgot to turn the aqurium light on. i did so when i got home, and fed the fishes, i watched them while they weer feeding, and noticed something.
all my female guppies are the same size (not fat) but noticible gravid spots. Except one.........shes still the same size, but her gravis spot is now a pinkish red colur, i cant see any black at all!!!!!!! please tell me she didnt have babies while i was out........if she did none survived.......
i wasnt sure if she was is preggo, she doesnt look fat, but her gravid spot was much darker and bigger than the other females......now there is no dark spot......any ideas?

Hi dreams :)

Sorry to have to tell you this, but she probably had the fry. :sad:

But, even though you were not able to save them, it is not really a bad thing. The other fish have most likely eaten them and this will nourish and strengthen them for the time when they have theirs. This is nature's way of regulating the population and keeping the existing fish healthy. :X

There will be many other opportunities for you to save or collect the fry in the future. It will help if you fill the tank with plants which provide hiding places for the little ones and there are commercially made breeding nets available. These are used to confine the female and her fry.

Better luck in the future. ;)

so should i put her in the breeding tank to give her a few days rest then?

dreams said:
so should i put her in the breeding tank to give her a few days rest then?
I'd vote "no", as moving her to the smaller space will probably upset her too much to let her get any rest.

Oh, and you just may find fry in the gravel or plants (if you have plants of some sort in your tank). My Platy had fry in my 10 gallon community tank. I didn't see any fry...until 10 days later. They could surprise you yet :) If not, you'll get more fry. Trust me. :nod:

Pamela
aka Lizard

I'd say YES. If there is any way you can keep the males away from her for a few days, the rest will do her good. :nod:

one vote yes, the other no...ahhhhhhh.......do i or dont i?

In my case, I moved the male out of the tank to give all 3 females some break... So you have a 3rd option... :D

yhbae said:
In my case, I moved the male out of the tank to give all 3 females some break... So you have a 3rd option... :D

Go with yhbae's solution. I think that's the best idea of all! :thumbs:

a pink gravid spot means she has had fry and that she is ready to get pregnant again, this will reduce in size and then fill up with dark greay / black as more fry grow. as for moving her i say no as this will stress her try moving the males

Most reactions

Back