Anyone here has experience with bamboo shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I made a thread about paradise fish tank mates today and tought it would be better to make another one for this. I would like to know if anyone has experience with bamboo shrimp and have more information about them. My goal would be to keep one in 10 gallon with my paradise fish and 2 snails but I don't know if it would be possible.

No it would not work out.

They need a 20 gal tank minimum as they can get big. And they need current. Its not possible to mix a paradise fish with bamboo shrimp in a small set up as paradise fish dont do filter flow well (theyre in the gourami family who generally like gentle water). In a larger tank (40gal+) itd be doable to have a small corner with more current... but not in a 10gal.

Theyre also tricky to feed. They NEED the current to feed. Tiny debris gets in their fans from the current and they often need to be target fed fine powdered foods and greenwater to live. They often do not thrive well in aquariums either because theyre more specialized.

I keep branches of driftwood suction cupped to the glass just under my filter outlets so they can sit in the flow. They hide in caves by day and come out at night to feed. I drop in powdered foods directly into the filter waterfall for them each night.

20200328_220625.jpg

And they should never be added to a fresh aquarium. They need a mature tank, well over 6 months established as they will also eat the microfauna in the water column too.

They get pretty big a 10 gallon is probably too small. They are filter feeders, instead of picking food with their claws they have fans and open them up and catch particles floating in the water. Theyll usually be seen hanging out by the filter out flow trying to catch particles. They dont move much and really like wood with plants. Theyre not the easiest to take care of.

I had the perfect spot for one at the outlet of my filter on my piece of wood :( But anyway I understand.. Thanks for the help

Bamboo shrimps are easy to kept (at least from my experience) but you will need atleast 17 Gallons tank, as they can grow up to 4 inches. If you have cories dont buy them as they likely to kill small bottom dwellers and snails.

Bamboo shrimps are easy to kept (at least from my experience) but you will need atleast 17 Gallons tank, as they can grow up to 4 inches. If you have cories dont buy them as they likely to kill small bottom dwellers and snails.
I only have 10 gallon.. I didn't know they could kill fish or snails, I tought they were super peaceful

Mine live with pangio loaches and cories... they even share a log cave with the loaches during the day. Theyre peaceful and shy shrimp... lol

Mine live with pangio loaches and cories... they even share a log cave with the loaches during the day. Theyre peaceful and shy shrimp... lol
Mine live with Kuhli sometime shrimp "pince" them but they're fine I think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back