Anyone Heard Of This Fish?

rocknurworld2006

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aberdeen
anyone heard of this fish:

Common Name: Blue-Eyed Rice Fish

Latin Name: Oryzias Javanicus

what are they like?
are they rare?
 
I haven't kept them but this is taken directly from the link I posted:

"The hardest part is finding the fish, as they are not readily available."

Just that part means that they are a rarer fish.
 
Java Medaka
I've heard of people experiencing problems obtaining stock. Some are now dyed.
Regards
BigC
 
They are very attractive for a Oryzias IMO. I owned Japanese ricefish (Oryzias latipes) and they breed crazily which is good thing since they used to be popular fish in the aquarium trade many years ago.

Really? I had no idea that Oryzias are being dyed. I though you were meant to say they were GM just like glofish (zebra danios) not dyed.
 
javanicus are best kept at a higher temperature than the medaka I find they do well at 76f the males have a longer dorsal. when they spawn the eggs stick to the females vent in a tiny bunch of up to 5 eggs at a time where they are fertilized by the males the eggs will soon be brushed of on to the plants they hatch in about 10 days


oryzias latipes
golden medaka ricefish from Japan. Korea. and china.
most of the madaka seen nowadays are the golden variety the wild ones are a greyish colour. length about 1 1/2 inches. can stand a temperature range from 40 to 78 degrees.
can go out side in a small pond in the summertime. I keep mine in a two foot tank a temp-of 72f. I look for eggs once a week by using a spawning mop it makes it easy to find and pick of the eggs.they all are put in a butter tub half full with tank water they hatch in about 10 days. the fry are first fed on micro worms for a few days and then newly hatch brineshrimp. I change a small part of the water every 3 to 4 days after about 3 weeks I then move them on to a larger container or a small tank.
 
I am currently experiecing huge problems trying to find any species of Ricefish, with no luck apart from a shop im still waiting to hear from.
 
If you get the chance then get some/
you’d be pleased with them
They are a nice little fish and well worth the time and effort keeping them
:fish: :fish: :fish:
 
They do best in a 10 gallon tank if you are gona breed them they can be a bit difficult to sex them s so it’ best toget between 6-10
 

Most reactions

Back
Top