Anyone Got A 1.25Wpg Planted Condition And Survive?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scopee

Reaction score
Hello!

I am wondering if there are any folks out there who got a 1.25WPG condition and the plants live or best... thrive?

One more thing, I have a pretty planted tank. So I really hope to have someone told me "Yes. I am also on 1.25WPG and the plants are doing ok.".

Thanks.

I'm not sure that 1.25 WPG would really be the key to whether or not a planted tank thrives or survives...the concept is a little outdated now with T5's and LEDs extra too
I'm sure it's a possibility though. :good:

You can grow plants under any light (within reason), the plants just grow slower under lower light. As above, the WPG rule is really outdated, this rule was designed around T12 bulbs, which not many (if anyone) uses these bulb anymore. Most tanks are sold with T5 bulbs now.

Actually I have just bought a tank. It comes with filter and light. It's 15w, anything else I don't know.

So I take it that my plants should be ok... Though I see one or two going rather 'funny'.

Anyway, the tank is 6 days old. May I know roughly how much time will I need to check my plants to know they will survive? Thanks!

most aquatic plants believe it or not are grown out of water, so it takes time for them to get used to there new environment. They either tend to melt and then grow into there submersed forms. Can you get any pics up?

my-planted-aquarium.jpg

I just removed the non aquarium plant Dracaena Sanderiana and replaced with a Java Fern.

Sorry guys, I don't really know the names of all those plants. :rolleyes:

I sure they will survive. Actually when I bought them, they were all submerged in water already.

looks nice...which plants are you having a problem with?

have you attached the fern and anubias (the plant in the center) to anything?, it's important that the rhizome (the long bit where the leave sprout from) above the substrate.

Hi Ianho,

I don't know what you mean by rhizome above the substrate... Basically I bought those three plants tied to wood... direct from the shops.

Here's the latest arrangement.

my-planted-aquarium4.jpg

Now look nice enough, but what will happen after 2 months? Can you help me to predict?

I am afraid that the plants will just rot... Argh~

Come on, tell me they will make it already! :nod:

the bunches of "grass" you really need to split them up in to 1/2mm diameter bunches and plant them, they will do soo much better. They also will go a bit brown in the first few weeks.

Mattt, you are right. It's becoming like a layer of brown algae is covering some of them. I think it's called Dwarf Hairgrass. I was hoping that they grow and spread out covering the entire tank. But given my light level, I think I expected too much. :blush:

they will spread out and cover it, you just need to plant them properly :), if you split them into small bunches and plant over a large area it will take no time.

have a look at this thread here, you can see how to plant them and the result :) anymore questions please ask. I've grown a few "lawns" now, my current one is under 11w light.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/393738-eleocharis-acicularis-vs-parvula/page__p__3309265__fromsearch__1#entry3309265

OMG! 11w!? That's what I want to hear! That means my 15w got hope! :good:
I think you saw that big bush. Yeah, that is the first hairgrass I bought, and I didn't know how to split them back then, then I tried to split the next 3 bunch of hairgrass and you see those tiny patches in the pictures.

I suppose when there is a layer of this grass type, it'd provide cover for my Cherry shrimps or any fries from especially my Zebras.

Gosh, I heard people said a 4~6cm Zebra will eat Cherry shrimp... That's very bad news. :no:

I am looking to try new things, Mattt. As you can see, the tank is pretty empty with 5 tetras, 5 zebras, 2 Ottos and 1 shrimp... what do you think I can get to stock the tank?

What fertiliser are you giving them would be the elephant in the room.....:D

S019,

To be honest with you, I only get the soil, and... no CO2, no liquid fertilizers.

Look, I got a pump going, and the CO2 will definitely be squeezed out. So no point. Besides, I think by the time the soil is about to lose all the nutrients, those #105###s from the fish would be enough to stand in.

Sorry, I am a newbie so I may sound naive. But that's what I am going to do. No CO2, no liquid fertilizers, just the soil. :lol:

Sorry, I am a newbie so I may sound naive. But that's what I am going to do. No CO2, no liquid fertilizers, just the soil. :lol:

Now look nice enough, but what will happen after 2 months? Can you help me to predict?

Algae. Dead plants. :good:

EDIT: That's a bit pessimistic TBH :blush:
A close guess though I reckon :blush:

EDIT 2: On the ferts - Not the CO2, you don;t need that IMO

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back