Anyone Bred American Flags

Tag2008

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone bred American Flag Fish?

Like These

I bought 5 when i first cycled my tank and now wondered if I could try my hand at breeding them..

The article in the link I added gives me most of the general needs I guess but wondered what you guys did if anything special for them? Ive got a breeding mop comming to me this week from one of the other members so hopefully this will work for spawning if all goes to plan..

But I wondered how to choose 2 to try with?

I've only bred cichlids and some live bearers in the past and they choose to do it themselves realy...they picked their mates or we got them as a pair but these little flags are not chiclids although reading on them there seems to be some confusion as to them being killifish and cichlid like?

Can I just pick the 2 most suitable looking candidates? Do I need to watch the females to see if they are ready and if so what am i looking for?
Will any male and femake I put together get it on or do I have to watch for them pairing in the tank? I have been watching them and I have 3 males and 2 females the males are now quite brightly coloured and bigger than the females, one male is fairly bigger than the rest so he would be my prime target to start with?

Id appreciate any thoughts on the matter...
Regards as ever
Tag

We just had a group in a pond and let them do their own thing. If you have them in a 2ft tank (or bigger) with lots of plants and feed them well they will breed when they are ready. They lay eggs over a few days and the males are meant to look after them.

Most reactions

Back