Any Metals That Will Harm Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tom130691

Fishaholic
Reaction score
as above, im working for a race team atm and they throw out alot of pistons, liners ect i was thinking about using some of these as feature in my tank,

obviously i would wash it all, probably boil it all just to make sure, but is there any metals/chemicals that will kill my fish,

No idea, but I wouldn't want it in my tank..

After a while certain metals could rust. The only metal I know of to be bad for fish is copper, but that wont even come in to the equation if its car parts!

ohhh what team? what sport?

and copper is one to avoid.

Each species is going to be susceptible to metals a little differently. I.e. one species may be okay with a certain level of copper, when it would be deadly for another.

But, in general, fish are more prone to heavy metal poisoning than mammals, like people. As above, copper is a very nasty one. By the time there is enough copper in our drinking water for people to taste -- and the average person can sense that copper-y taste long before the levels are mildly dangerous to humans -- the concentration of copper in the water is deadly to a great deal of fish.

Governments regulate the water supply to be safe for human consumption, not fish.

I would think that throwing metal components into a tank is just taking an unnecessary risk.

Titanium should be ok, its used in the human body for joint replacements and the company I work for make it. But as for evidence supporting that it will not harm your fish, I CAN'T provide any.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back