Any Good Books?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fintastic!

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone read a good book lately? I've read a few lately that I've been disappointed in. Need something gripping and intellegent. Lot of rubbish around.

Read all four of the Lord of the Rings. Very good.
If you're into fantasy, try Hound of Rowan. I got it at the library, thought it was stupid and a rip-off of Harry Potter at first, but it's now my favorite book and I love it so much!

hunger games? amazing books, i thought they were teenagers books but my mum has read them aswell and she loved them

Am really enjoying the trilogy? (so far!) by Kate Mosse

Labyrinth
Sepulchre
Citadel

All basedin france, love and war in a way but not really lame lovey dovey book (i hate that!) bit of mystery thrown in, detective work and just to complicate things, it is running two very different time lines, modern day and really old but two very closely linked/related people called Alice and Alice (pronounced Al-eye-eece). It really took a while to get into to be honest but once you understood the flow of the book, I found it quite gripping, sepulchre was a great second book, different characters, same style of writing (back and forth in time but same location) and it does tie into the first book.

Am onto the third book, equally as good, took a little longer to get into for me as is set a little in the 'old days' and mainly during WW2 in france and is based around the concentration camps but from the french perspective, one i had certainly never considered and certainly not how divided the french perspective might have been! Partisans and the views of the German sympathizers. Again, differant characters (with one exception who is in all three books but not the main character in any) but eventually you realise that the location is the same as the two previous books but again in a completely different time.

All very good books but style takes getting used to and is well worth the effort to do so :) Of all three though, I do think the first will be my favourite but thats usually case for me in seriesof books though I hope the author has plans for more :)

Also totally hooked on all books by Karen Rose, absolute favourite author!! Wont go into what books are about, I wont say they are all that nice... but you do have to start at the beginning as its following a group of people through their livesand each book introduces new characters and the next book is about their part in the story. But does involve a lot about abuse shelters and having to get new identities to escape and nasty husbands trying to track the women and kids down and their fight to create new lives and the shelters and the people they meet and completely evolving into something else with private detectives and lawyers lol but they are all very closely linked.

I really like books by the way
whistling.gif

I've been enjoying the Game of Thrones books after getting hooked to the Sky Atlantic series

My favourite books/ series would have to be The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordon, Fantasy but he has/ had gone to a great deal of effort to really create each culture that emerges in the book.
yes.gif
Another interesting read is The Duncton Chronicles by William Horwood.

I'll have to second The Hunger Games. They are brilliant and one of my favourite books.

I've also been reading the Game of Thrones series but it can be a little slow at times.

You can never go wrong with Terry Pratchet and Good Omens is hilarious!

I've read all the books mentioned except Kate Mosse, Karen Rose and Robert Jordan so I'll look them up. Thanks a million for your replies guys, keep 'em comin'!
I'm into anything except full-blown romance, batting eyelashes etc. 40 Shades-hated it. All batting lashes and lip biting.
I love thrillers, some autobiographies, the odd fantasy and most general types.
Right now I'm reading Danny Seraphine's story of Chicago (the band). Who knew Peter Cetera trained as a priest?!

I love an author called Mathew Reilly, for action packed books, I started with the book Ice Station. I also cannot go past the older books of James Patterson (Alex Cross series). The Karen Rose books sound really intriguing.

Maximum Ride series by James Patterson are phenomenal

James Patterson, Peter James, and I did read Lovely Bones, (my daughters book but I quite enjoyed it.)

Ah I read The Lovely Bones. Enjoyed that one. I'm lovin' this. Lots of good ones to look forward to.

Has any one of you just walked into a library not looking at titles or authors and just randomly picked 3-4 books to take home and read.? I found this is a good exercise in changing your taste in different types of literature. I was always stuck on action pack stories and the authors that write them. But one day I got bored and tired of looking for them and just grabbed 3 books, lucky dip mentality. They were a great read .....my motto is, if you can get through the first 3 pages without falling asleep then its a go. Now my preference is unlimited.
smartass.gif

One more question....has any one read a book that left them feeling freaked out and unsettled, to the point where you couldn't stop thinking about it all day?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back