🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
my budgie pickle is a bit shy with talking,
he loves it when i talk to him but he hasn't talked back yet
he's only a 2 months old (i've had him since he was 5 weeks old)
i have heard him numerous times imitating noises (birds outside, my guinea pig, and mimics the tone of your voice in chirps but not the words)
i have also heard a raspy little growly voice coming from my room a few times now but no words.
it seems like he only trills, sings and makes guinea pig noises when i'm not around or if the house is full of loud people and music

is this shyness normal?
do you think he'll ever talk?
it doesn't matter if he does or doesn't i just think it would be neat!

They are pretty shy when it comes to talking. I had a white one who would NEVER talk to me unless I was out of sight within earshot or out of the room...His name was Jacob,and he LOVED to hear himself say his own name...He said it so loud it sounded like someone was screaming for him. :lol: He said other stuff,but it was a low raspy whisper kind of voice. You had to really listen to hear it and understand it. Yours may get less shy since you've had him since he was so young. I got Jake when he was older. Do you have any pics? I'd like to see. :)

Well I dont have a budgie but I do have a small quaker parrot that I raised from a hatchling..they told me he would start out whisteling and immatating sounds like yours and then eventually start to say words and phrases around 5 or 6 months. He now talks up a storm and doesnt shut up lol but I love the lil guy to death. I love when they are babies and have there baby feather! do show us a pic..here is one of my baby :)

Attachments

• angel1.jpg
    angel1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 65
It's harder for budgies and birds like cockatiels to talk compaired to big ol' parrots like amazons. He will probably never talk like the birds on t.v. singing Wipe Out...

If you say hello in a high pitched voice and then a low voice like hell - o then he will make the high and low pitch sqeek but will probably never be able to say hello like a bigger parrot... It's hard with budgies. But it's good to see your trying hard!

My budgies are dead silent when I am close to them however they like to talk to each other a lot.

I adopted 2 quaker parrots two years ago and they were pure hell. LOL The male talked and talked and screamed at me and talked ALL the time,bit me every chance he got,the female just screamed and did cat calls. I have scars on my arms from the male. He would reach out from the bars of the cage on one leg stratched out as far as he could reach and bite through my skin. lol I gave them to a guy I worked with and that damn bird is in love with him. :dunno:

HeatherSweetness said:
I adopted 2 quaker parrots two years ago and they were pure hell. LOL The male talked and talked and screamed at me and talked ALL the time,bit me every chance he got,the female just screamed and did cat calls. I have scars on my arms from the male. He would reach out from the bars of the cage on one leg stratched out as far as he could reach and bite through my skin. lol I gave them to a guy I worked with and that damn bird is in love with him. :dunno:
LOL thats because Quaker parrots are actually supposed to be kept seperate if you want them as a pet. They are a one person bird usually and if you raise them from babys they are great birds..loud but great birds lol If you keep two together they will get attached to each other and basically hate everyone else :dunno: weird i know

if you want Mr.Budgie to chat to you, you have to spend a LOT of time with them!!! start off repeating one very very simple word that you want him to learn and wait until he can repeat it back to you. ou have to be very very patient and nobody else in the household should be trying to train him - they may have different methods to you!!! hope thi helps good luck with your bird!

I was flippen channels a little while ago at my grandmasand saw cat's talking on Americas fumniiest Home videos or something, and it wasn't like voice overs just cats that when the meowed sounded like hello or no

Most reactions

Back