Another Snakehead Question

fatboywez

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been looking for this info for a friend he wants to know what out of the smaller species is the most aggressive snakehead from what i have seen its the Gachua but i am not totally sure because different people have different opinons. he is looking to keep maybe 2 or three different snakeheads or the same if they will start fighting

The best small snakehead for groups is C. bankanensis. None of the others will really work in groups unless you have a large tank with seperate teratories.
Dont forget that as with other intelligent fish, they have individual personalities so peoples experiences will be different.

Groups of snakeheads only work until two form a pair and then they kill all the others.

I've never heard of mixed species groups of snakeheads being tried but i would be very skeptical of it working.

ok so should i tell him to stick to one maybe 2, which of the small ones is more aggresive when eating etc

Its ONE or a matched pair, not just 2 fish

Genarally its a bad Idea. I have done it with some of the smaller Snakeheads in large aquaria. There are two species you cane do it with. These being Bleheri and Sp. Assam. You would be able to keep 4 of either in a 36". A great place for Info http://snakeheadsuk.proboards85.com/index.cgi

having been down this same path before (as i love snakeheads), i would simply suggest looking for something else, it will save upon any heartache and money. Unless you consider just keeping a snakehead by its own, or just having a MATCHED pair.

I'm with jelly on this one, spot on advice....

Most reactions

Back