Angels and gouramis as tankmates

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

leah9798

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this combination. My gouramis seem miserable, I have 2, one just stays in a corner on the top of my tank and the other who used to be the king of the tank stays on the bottom now in the plants. He also has some sort of sore on him. I'm thinking of taking my angels out, I thought they were good community fish. Just what I need another fish tank :p . I've never seen any aggression from my angels but I don't know what else it could be. My other fish, platys guppies tetras dont seem afraid of them at all. I hate to see my fish so unhappy :( . If I do get another tank it would have to be a smaller one maybe 20 gallon, being that they are cichlids would I be better off adding a couple different cichlids with them. They seem so fragile! Thanks Leah

I have had mixed expiereince with these two together. My first Dwarf Gourami chased and bit at the fins of the angels and then the honey Gourami was constantly harassed by the Angels. Personally I wouldnt recommend them as tank mates but check out wht people at the angelfish web forum had to say :
Angelfish Web Forum

Ken

Thank you Ken I'm gooing to go read right now. I'm thinking also that maybe they arent the best of tankmates too! Leah

You say one of the gouramis used to be "king of the tank"; does that mean you recently added the angels? And what kind of gouramis are they?

My angels have never caused their tankmates any trouble, including a couple of blue gouramis. Then again, maybe the size of the gouramis had something to do with it, since while they were sharing a tank the gouramis were about the same size as the angels.

Hi Morrgan! Thanks, I added the angels about a week and a half ago, They are very similiar in size to my Gouramis. Although, I ve only had my gouramis about a month also. Maybe he is just settling in and has picked himself a spot, he still comes out to chase the other gourami every once in a while. I'm going to wait another week and see what happens. Thanks!! They are gold gouramis :D

I have one angel, and one dwarf gourami and they get along fine. My angel is so absorbed in his beauty and trying to get my attention he doesn't have time for the gourami :D

As far as your gouramis are concerned, two enormous triangular gouramis just moved into their territory. It may be that eventually everyone will settle down, but despite their aggressive reputation, they can get quite anxious. I don't think angels and gouramis are the best of tank mates - generally you have one or the other, not both together.

Angels and gouramis usually are good tank mates. But, platys tend to nip at their feelers. Also, you probably should rearrange the tank, because fish tend to get territorial about their particular "spots".

Well, I think I found the culprit. I was watching my fish his morning and there's my male guppy picking right at the sore. My gourami has been a little more active lately. So, I've seemed to notice that my little fish are much more aggressive than my bigger fish. I also have a few minnows in there and they tend to be a little aggressive also towards all my fish. Is this typical for a guppy?, love those little guys and I ahve a pregnant female right now, I wanted to try and save some fry but now I'm not so sure if they are going to be picking on my other fish or maybe I just have a nasty little guy with a wild side. :huh: Leah

Most reactions

Back