Angelfish/female Betta Dilemma

Dragonslady

Reaction score
At the moment, I have a 29gal with 15 rasboras, 3 female bettas, 1 angelfish, and 3 sunset coral dwarf plattys.

I just added the angel this past week, getting it small in the hopes that it would become adjusted to not being a bully on the playground. Before that, the entire tank had been in harmony for months.

Today, after a few days of marveling at how well my angel was getting along with the female bettas and vice versa, I come home to find the more docile betta of the three's back scales all picked off. The other females are looking a little ragged around the tail edges. I haven't witnessed the angel being nasty, but I have decided to take it out tomorrow for a refund. (I have her in my quarantine tank til I can run to the store)

My question is this - should I take my female betta with the missing scales out to heal in quarantine? If so, I was wondering if I should take out all three females together so that they don't turn on each other when reunited. Unfortunately, my quarantine tank is tiny (5gal) so there wouldn't be much hiding space. Any thoughts? I suppose I might not have to take them out once the angel is gone...

Ah! I don't want to do the wrong thing - at least anything worse than what's already happened!

On another note - the reason I added the angel to begin with was the idea of a really gorgeous "center piece" for the tank. Any ideas of a less aggressive option for my tank with what is in it already? I'm also contemplating some cory cats or a bristlenose pleco for the tank, but I would love to hear any ideas! From my understanding, with the angel out I'll have some wiggle room in the tank. :) (Hopefully my understanding is correct!)

Most reactions

Back