An Unpleasant Topic

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I either use decapitation or blunt trauma depending on the fish.

Fish like Cichlids and big catfish or other wide bodied fish i place in a damp towel with just their heads protruding, place the head of the fish onto a wooden baord, take a deep breath and smack them cleanly on the head with a 20 ounce hammer. Death is instant.

For slim bodied fish like eels or bichirs i again wrap them in a towel with just the head protruding, place them on a wooden board but instead of a hammer i remove their head with one motion using a chefs cleaver. Again death is instant.

I either use decapitation or blunt trauma depending on the fish.

Fish like Cichlids and big catfish or other wide bodied fish i place in a damp towel with just their heads protruding, place the head of the fish onto a wooden baord, take a deep breath and smack them cleanly on the head with a 20 ounce hammer. Death is instant.

For slim bodied fish like eels or bichirs i again wrap them in a towel with just the head protruding, place them on a wooden board but instead of a hammer i remove their head with one motion using a chefs cleaver. Again death is instant.

And these are the only methods that are guaranteed to work as well. People argue over clove oil and freezing, but trauma to the brain or decapitation, as horrible as it may be, is the only way for guaranteed quick euthanasia.

I am sure there is another topic like this somewhere.

But anyway what i have done on two occasions is mix up some concentrated anaesthetic salt (my dad uses it to send koi to sleep so he can "operate on them" to remove flukes etc) which just sends the fish to sleep and it doesn't wake up. Simple and painless.

I think I may have to use euthanasia on one of my fish soon. I think I will use the cold water method, except I going to add salt, you can then get the water down to below freezing (using the freezer). That should make it extra quick.

I have only had to do it once and it was to a goldfish. My lfs told me to put it into boiling hot water!!

This was horrible as blood started to come out from the fishes mouth and i would not recommend it although the fish did die VERY quickly!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back