ammonia remover

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hellstorm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello i was thinking to add ammrid into my cannister filter but is it good for the fish? if i have ammonia remover in there will it kill ALL the ammonia? so then will i be able to have as many fish as i want since i have somthing that is constantly gettin rid of the ammonia?

thanks for ur time and help :D

Its not really a good idea. The bacteria will overtime build up to zap any ammonia thats in the tank. Its not normal and really doesn't look good if you have more fish per gallon than the reccomended limit which is about 1 fish per 12" surface area I think ??

Besides there will not be enough oxygen in the water to support the fish and they will die of oxygen starvation.

Its much better just to wait for your tank to cycle: http://fish.orbust.net/cycling.html , with bacteria naturally building up, they will allow you to keep just as many fish as with any ammonia remover and they also ensure the ammonia doesn't get converted into anything nasty... I have a feeling the "ammonia remover" just converts it to "ammonium" which is not toxic to fish but will rapidly increase in quantity and could become dangerous.

Hope this is of some use 8)

As in human society, overcrowding causes more problems than just ammonia. Satek

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back