Ami
Fishaholic
Just out of interest I thought I'd try and find out what level of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate you guys would be willing to accept in your tanks.
I know that most people will say 0 on the ammonia and nitrite, however that isn't always possible in a tank, especially when you fill the tank from your tap!
We know that the toxicity of ammonia varies between species of fish and also with the temperature and pH of the water. Also it changes continually back and forth from NH3 (extremely toxic) to NH4+ (ammonium - relatively harmless), with the nitrogen being in the dangerous form at higher temperatures and pH.
I personally don't panic if my ammonia is within 0.4mg/l nor if my nitrite is within 0.1mg/l, but I would check the aquarium for any dead fish, uneaten food etc. I also use Ammo-Lock at water changes, which I understand can sometimes screw up the readings on my test kits.
What is acceptable to you guys and when would you really start to worry?
Ami
I know that most people will say 0 on the ammonia and nitrite, however that isn't always possible in a tank, especially when you fill the tank from your tap!
We know that the toxicity of ammonia varies between species of fish and also with the temperature and pH of the water. Also it changes continually back and forth from NH3 (extremely toxic) to NH4+ (ammonium - relatively harmless), with the nitrogen being in the dangerous form at higher temperatures and pH.
I personally don't panic if my ammonia is within 0.4mg/l nor if my nitrite is within 0.1mg/l, but I would check the aquarium for any dead fish, uneaten food etc. I also use Ammo-Lock at water changes, which I understand can sometimes screw up the readings on my test kits.
What is acceptable to you guys and when would you really start to worry?
Ami
) 
I think the best thing to do is time. The only time I have recently seen ANY ammonia reading, and it was more a trace, not even close to the level above zero, was after a 5 hour power outage then I cleaned out my filter because it was getting very gunked up. Same with nitrItes. 

That's what I've been saying since the start of the thread......my tap water shows ammonia when I test it, so I use ammo lock on it, but if I test the tank I still get ammonia levels and I know that the ammo lock can muck up test results, which is why I posted this poll....






