Ammonia in My Shrimp Tank?!

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I started a shrimp tank a month or so ago, using a tank that had fish in it for about 2 years. That tank had not had detectable ammonia in it since I cycled it. The water is super-clear and it has been in great shape. I only have about 20 shrimp in there, so I can't imagine they're creating much for the filter to deal with. Also, I only feed them every other day. I've been very careful with them (as opposed to the over-feeding I do in my bigger tank LOL).

However, today I checked the ammonia and it has 0.25ppm! I was shocked. I have plants, but there is almost no dying plant material. I did do one thing that I think might have negatively affected the filter. I put sponges behind the grills that cover the openings to the filter. The filter is built in- 3 vertical chambers across the back of the tank. The first chamber is the intake- the 2 vents are at the bottom and top of the back wall of the tank and let water into that chamber. Next is the sponge and bio media, and then the 3rd chamber is where the cleaned water is returned to the tank. I guess if the sponges are blocking all the poop and stuff from getting in the filter, it could settle on the bottom etc. Maybe that keeps the main source of bacteria from acting on it?

How do you keep baby shrimp out of your filter? Also, are there any other reasons I could get ammonia in a shrimp tank that are unique to a shrimp tank? I only feed them every other day, and very little food. I figure with all the plants I have there would be a lot of bio film for them and there is good algae on the side walls.

The PH is about 7.6, no nitrates, no nitrites, last TDS was 300+.

grills on the Fluval Flex:
1706146687431.png

The PH is about 7.6, no nitrates, no nitrites, last TDS was 300+.
What temperature is it? In aquariums there's two types of ammonia; the toxic unionized ammonia we normally think of (NH3), and non toxic ammonium which usually makes up the majority of ammonia readings. If your tank has reasonable temperature and pH, then the actual amount of unionized ammonia is almost negligible. However, to be safe here's a calculator: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php

put sponges behind the grills that cover the openings to the filter.
Perhaps this could explain the rise, as it would cause a temporary slight buildup in waste if it's new. I wouldn't worry about it too much though as it'll probably go away eventually.

How do you keep baby shrimp out of your filter
In my 10g caridina tank I have a mesh shrimp-guard around the intake of the HOB filter. If you have grills, then perhaps you could get some thin mesh and secure it somehow to both sides of the grill. It will be difficult though as the babies might be able to squeeze past any gap you miss.

Are you using the APi test kit ? I have the same readings as you in my Shrimps tank, I do a water change and a couple of days later it's coming back. I didn't feed them for a week and the results where the same.

I did the same test on the water used to do the water changes and surprise, the same readings appeared.

I did the test on the water directly from the tap and no presence of ammonia at all. at this point I'm about to test if one of the additive I use could be causing this. I ordered a Nutrafin and a broad drinking water test kit to corroborate the results.

Also noticed that these reading where nil if I test right away after using tap water conditioner. But If I leave the water sitting they will come back... Both in the test bucket and the shrimp tank.

I flushed all the water I had and fill it up with new tap water, will let it sit a while and going to divide it in 2 bucket and test the water without and with both additive separately.

The shrimps looks unaffected are active and are well... I'm a little stumped at the moment. Any level of ammonia over 0.03 ppm is considerate harmful.

So why are all my babies swimming around like mermaids in a level of 0.25 baffles me. This tank was cycled at 2 ppm ammonia and barely showed nitrite and never showed any nitrates.

The only thing that I could see that messed this up at the moment is a pipe reparation the city did 2 weeks ago and it fouled our tap water real good. But this has stabilized since and nothing of the sort happens in the betta tank.

To prevent babies from getting sucked in the filter I use An aquaclear Pre-filter Foams
61SO5ueJBoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

* Not my shrimps

I know Shrimps will lift a lots of stuff in the water layer and probably will increase the speed of decomposition of the things they don't eat. But I'm sure that the bio-load should be way under what the setup can process.

What temperature is it? In aquariums there's two types of ammonia; the toxic unionized ammonia we normally think of (NH3), and non toxic ammonium which usually makes up the majority of ammonia readings. If your tank has reasonable temperature and pH, then the actual amount of unionized ammonia is almost negligible. However, to be safe here's a calculator: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php

Perhaps this could explain the rise, as it would cause a temporary slight buildup in waste if it's new. I wouldn't worry about it too much though as it'll probably go away eventually.

In my 10g caridina tank I have a mesh shrimp-guard around the intake of the HOB filter. If you have grills, then perhaps you could get some thin mesh and secure it somehow to both sides of the grill. It will be difficult though as the babies might be able to squeeze past any gap you miss.
Interesting! I checked the calculator (I assumed 0 salinity) and the "free" ammonia is 0.0005. I guess it isn't much to worry about- just not used to seeing ammonia at all. The mesh is a good idea- I will look at that option.

Thanks, Tacocat!

Are you using the APi test kit ? I have the same readings as you in my Shrimps tank, I do a water change and a couple of days later it's coming back. I didn't feed them for a week and the results where the same.

I did the same test on the water used to do the water changes and surprise, the same readings appeared.

I did the test on the water directly from the tap and no presence of ammonia at all. at this point I'm about to test if one of the additive I use could be causing this. I ordered a Nutrafin and a broad drinking water test kit to corroborate the results.

Also noticed that these reading where nil if I test right away after using tap water conditioner. But If I leave the water sitting they will come back... Both in the test bucket and the shrimp tank.

I flushed all the water I had and fill it up with new tap water, will let it sit a while and going to divide it in 2 bucket and test the water without and with both additive separately.

The shrimps looks unaffected are active and are well... I'm a little stumped at the moment. Any level of ammonia over 0.03 ppm is considerate harmful.

So why are all my babies swimming around like mermaids in a level of 0.25 baffles me. This tank was cycled at 2 ppm ammonia and barely showed nitrite and never showed any nitrates.

The only thing that I could see that messed this up at the moment is a pipe reparation the city did 2 weeks ago and it fouled our tap water real good. But this has stabilized since and nothing of the sort happens in the betta tank.

To prevent babies from getting sucked in the filter I use An aquaclear Pre-filter Foams
61SO5ueJBoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

* Not my shrimps

I know Shrimps will lift a lots of stuff in the water layer and probably will increase the speed of decomposition of the things they don't eat. But I'm sure that the bio-load should be way under what the setup can process.
Wow this is interesting. I use conditioned tap water for the water changes- always have on this tank and the other one. That's what gets me- I've had this tank for a long time. I'm thinking it's the sponges, but not sure. In any case, I don't have much load at all- maybe some of the bacteria died off because there wasn't enough ammonia? I can't imagine that with plants in there and all. Anyway, as usual, I'm not sure, but will keep checking LOL.

Aquaria is not one of the most popular hobby in the solar system for nothing.

You'll never get bored.

At the moment I think that the false results are from broken chloramine. But the resulting ammonium should be used with time by the bacteria colony or as fertilizer for the plants ?!?

I will re-seed the tank with a couple of the ten nylon scouring pads that I have in the betta tank fllter, replace them by new ones. and put the old in the filter of the shrimps tank.

And I think it's time that I get a little more involved in adequate plant fertilization.

Seconding Tacocat regarding free ammonia (NH3) vs. ammonium (NH4). I wouldn't be worried about the level of ammonia you got from the calculator. I'll repeat MaloK's question: what test are you using for ammonia? Most of the commercially available tests record TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) which includes both NH3 and NH4. So, really, the reading you get from a test kit includes NH4 concentration as well, which can lead to artificially high "ammonia" values. Also, the liquid API test kit is known to sometimes throw false readings of 0.25ppm.

Seconding Tacocat regarding free ammonia (NH3) vs. ammonium (NH4). I wouldn't be worried about the level of ammonia you got from the calculator. I'll repeat MaloK's question: what test are you using for ammonia? Most of the commercially available tests record TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) which includes both NH3 and NH4. So, really, the reading you get from a test kit includes NH4 concentration as well, which can lead to artificially high "ammonia" values. Also, the liquid API test kit is known to sometimes throw false readings of 0.25ppm.
Using API test kit. Duly noted and much relieved 😅

Most reactions

Back