Ammonia for fishless cycling

I am new to this site and to fish keeping but it is rather difficult to know how to proceed when advice ranges from "yes this is fine" to "definitely not" !

As I have now started with this product, I guess I will have to go for a major water change prior to introducing any fish

I understand your frustration sinfulhorse. That's the nature of the internet really, so much information and so many different opinions. I always look for sources of information in as many places as possible and then make my own mind up.

As for the Jeyes. When I first found it I searched around and mentioned it on the forum, just like you have, and the opinion was that it is okay - this was the thread.

I just did a bit of a search on google and found these threads that also support it:1, 2

a search around this site might also find some supporting information. Plus as said before, it worked fine for me. So I still stay stick with using it and if it works then report back and add your support for it (or otherwise of course!)

Having said all of this - if you searched around then you might find as much information supporting Dragonslair's opinion :crazy:

Good luck and keep us updated anyway :)

Any household ammonia will do, of any strength, so long as it doesn't contain soap. Shake the bottle. If it foams then don't use it. Also avoid anything with a perfume or colour. Ammonia solution should smell awful and be colourless.

Do not, as repeatly told in all the relevant threads, look for ammonia in chain stores. They simply do not stock it (not even my local B&Q though yours may differ). This includes Boots! Get the yellow pages out and make some phone calls to independent DIY and household goods shops (maybe pharmacies as well). Its not that hard. You don't need the internet and you don't need a shop with a famous brand name, just a phone and the yellow pages.

Mine is called AmoKleen, by Barrettine and is at 9.5%. It has worked nicely.

Most reactions

Back