American Flagfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Is anyone familiar with the "american flagfish"? It is a type of killifish correct? Also, if im not mistaken, its found in the temperate waters of florida somewhere? Anyways, ive allways liked killifish but they are never available where i live except for these ones, and Ive been researching different stocking possabilities for my 10 gallon and read you can house a couple in such a tank. So, how many in a 10 gallon with some white cloud minnows(i thought theyd work together as they both seem to appreciate lower temperatures, and i allready have the white clouds). Will a diets of a basic pellet and flak food suffice with vegitables at least 2 times a week (ill mix between algae waffers and romain lettuce or other vegies that are reccomended). Any feedback would be great!

I've had these fish quite often. My first flags were store bought and all the ones after that I caught my self as I live in south Florida by the Everglades. That diet would be fine and you can probably fit 2 in a 10 gallon. There may be less aggression (a possibility as I always thought a 10 would be quite small for them) if you get a pair, the females have a black spot on their dorsal fins, males don't.

PS: I doubt they appreciate lower temperatures, they are native to south Florida, on average the temperature is around 22-29 degrees celsius, getting a bit hotter in the summer.

Thank you so much for responding! Ill keep my heater on then! So try and sex out a male and female? What are the chances of pairing? And do they need a cave or hiding place? Thanks again!

They love plants so some cover would be nice. I haven't attempted breeding them yet due to their availability to me but I've heard it's not that hard and if you get a pair then there is a pretty good chance they'll breed.

They do appreciate a bit of vegetation in their diet and are excellent hair-algae destroyers.

Thanks guys, the two now reside in my 10 gallon happily swimming around together (1 is a male the other is a female) And i even take hair algae out of my dad's....uhh...algae growing tank to feed to my flagfish and i must say that its quite a sight to watch!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back