Hi all, new boy here.
I have a query regarding Amano shrimps.
I started out with 5 in a 50L tank along with a small community of fish, mostly tetras in June 2018.
I moved house in April 2019 and so did the fish - I upgraded to a much larger (150L) tank in the new house.
During the move one shrimp died.
In fact I lost it completely as I was transferring them and found it by the front door 2 days later, it had jumped out of the smaller tank while I was moving them across and gone for a walk!
Definitely a dead shrimp and not a moulted shell.
So far as I knew I had 4 shrimps left, up until sometime last summer when during one of their “nutty half-hours” where they fly around the tank like maniacs, I counted 5 again!
This tank also has a male Bolivian Ram, a bristlenose Pleco, and about 30 Neon/Cardinal/Ember Tetras.
The tank also has all natural plants, driftwood and rocks.
I’m reading that the life span of an Amano is 2-3 years and that they are difficult to breed, so my question is, how unusual is it for them to breed in a community tank and not just to breed but to maintain the original stock level without me seeing any sign of breeding or baby shrimps?
I 100% currently have 5 Amano shrimps in my tank, 4 years and 8 months after stocking them!
I have a query regarding Amano shrimps.
I started out with 5 in a 50L tank along with a small community of fish, mostly tetras in June 2018.
I moved house in April 2019 and so did the fish - I upgraded to a much larger (150L) tank in the new house.
During the move one shrimp died.
In fact I lost it completely as I was transferring them and found it by the front door 2 days later, it had jumped out of the smaller tank while I was moving them across and gone for a walk!
Definitely a dead shrimp and not a moulted shell.
So far as I knew I had 4 shrimps left, up until sometime last summer when during one of their “nutty half-hours” where they fly around the tank like maniacs, I counted 5 again!
This tank also has a male Bolivian Ram, a bristlenose Pleco, and about 30 Neon/Cardinal/Ember Tetras.
The tank also has all natural plants, driftwood and rocks.
I’m reading that the life span of an Amano is 2-3 years and that they are difficult to breed, so my question is, how unusual is it for them to breed in a community tank and not just to breed but to maintain the original stock level without me seeing any sign of breeding or baby shrimps?
I 100% currently have 5 Amano shrimps in my tank, 4 years and 8 months after stocking them!
They have a way of disappearing for several months, or even for years, then reappearing right about the time you give up on them. They don't breed in fresh water, though. I've had them develop eggs, but they never amount to anything. If somebody ever figures out a cost-effective way to breed them at home, that person could probably make several bucks.






