Amano Larvae Need Brackish Water To Grow?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Caprichoso

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey friends,

Mosura's "shrimpton" shrimp food is supposed to contain the nutrients necessary to grow all shrimp from the larvae stage. The company is trying to "de-mystify" the thought that you can't grow Amano and other baby shrimp into adulthood without the use of brackish water. They claim the reason the babies die in freshwater has nothing to do with the salty water but more to do with the plankton and such that is found in the salty water. They have synthesized this plankton and added it to this type of shrimp food. Now, this all sounds great, but who knows if it works. I think I'm going to do a little experiment and try it out.

On another note, someone from my local forum has claimed and produced pictures of a baby Amano that "appeared" in their tank. Now whether or not this is true, or if the shrimp in their tank is indeed a "true" amano shrimp is up for question. To me it looked like an amano and I'm very familiar with them but I also know that there are some species that very closely resemble amano and in fact are not. The person apparently feeds their shrimp NLS and crushes it up for the shrimp.

Anyway, just an interesting little tidbit I thought I'd share. Wish me luck!

that would be very cool goodluck....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back