Am I going mad???!

Something Fishy

New Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Oxford
Can they make their yellow stripes disappear??
I've a had a BB Goby for quite a while now .. I looked at him earlier .. and I thought ... I'm sure he had 3 yellow stripes & now he only has 2, anyway thought I must have just been mistaken. Anyway I've just looked at him now & he has 3 bright yellow stripes again!!!!!
Now I've heard the males go nearly completely yellow when spawning is going on but is it common for them to just make their stripes come & go? and if so any reasons behind it? :dunno:
 
I've never seen this, and it sounds quite odd. Mine don't vary their colours very much. But looking in the Baensch's Aquarium Atlas no. 1, they have pictures of a fish supposedly Brachygobius nunus and it looks "normal" in one photo, and a sort of washed out yellow in "breeding colours". Maybe your specimen is doing something along those lines?

I believe there is a dedicated goby mailing list, and possibly that's the place to ask?

Cheers,

Neale

Something Fishy said:
Now I've heard the males go nearly completely yellow when spawning is going on but is it common for them to just make their stripes come & go? and if so any reasons behind it?
[snapback]880021[/snapback]​
 
My gobies change their colors a lot: there's a "collar" that's goes from white to almost black, and two of them have an "extra" line on their backs which aren't always visible. I don't know why. They aren't breeding, as far as I know.
 
Thank you for both your replies, at least I'm not losing my mind! I have been monitoring Goby since and he does vary. Like you say the 'collar' stripe seems to sometimes be black, sometimes very pale yellow & sometimes bright yellow! I will post on that mailing list you suggested and see if anyone knows more. Thanks
 

Most reactions

Back
Top