Alternanthera looking a lil dodgy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I bought the same in a tissue culture bag..and from tiny plants,three took and grew slow but well. I posted photos of it here. But over a month ago it started to get leggy..bare lower stems so I did what I've done a million times for many plants..cut the plant in half,replanted the tops in a spot that got even more light. Surprise to me- the now cut stems never sprouted new growth..they held for awhile,then collapsed. The cut tops are in sort of limbo..not grown much,but not looking that near to death.
Maybe,Alternanthera is short lived? I got a year out of it or more.

AR does better at higher temps, and is also more of a root feeder than you'd expect, so does better with roots tabs

AR does better at higher temps, and is also more of a root feeder than you'd expect, so does better with roots tabs

My temp is near 31 but I've no root tabs. If I get some again I'll keep that in mind. It's nice having some red plant amongst the green.

I bought the same in a tissue culture bag..and from tiny plants,three took and grew slow but well. I posted photos of it here. But over a month ago it started to get leggy..bare lower stems so I did what I've done a million times for many plants..cut the plant in half,replanted the tops in a spot that got even more light. Surprise to me- the now cut stems never sprouted new growth..they held for awhile,then collapsed. The cut tops are in sort of limbo..not grown much,but not looking that near to death.
Maybe,Alternanthera is short lived? I got a year out of it or more.

I tried cutting them up they just went awful. Threw it out yesterday. Pity but it just didn't do well. I need to look at what plants are best in hard water too.

It probably just needs more light then we gave it. More light and an aquarium with a very light load of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back