Algea On Glass

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hoyfoys

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi :)

I'm finding that I'm getting patches of algea on the glass about 4 days after cleaning and it looks quite ugly/dirty. Does this seem fast for it to grow? I have my lights on for 8 hours a day but my tank is in my living room which is fairly bright and the evening sun does hit the tank. Should I reduce the hours my lights are on for? Would that mean setting them differently for shorter days?

Thanks!

Reduce your photo period to 6 hours, the direct sun light is going to have some effect too, if you can close the curtains or blinds if you wish to prevent this, what kind of algae is it?

Thanks, that was my guess. It's brown algae. It's odd as it tends to be vertical and in patches, ever though i scrub it weekly.

It's pretty common in new set ups and is a result of ammonia and excess light, if you cut your lighting it should go.

Brill. I also find I get it on my CO2 diffuser (also above it) as I guess they love the CO2. Is there anyway to stop this or will the lighting help here too? It's quite green there

You might want to increase your circulation in that case, it's vital in fighting algae in planted set ups, it prevents 'pockets' of ammonia,

Thanks. My filter moves the water a lot and I also have an oxygen pump that switches on at night. What should I do differently? The main place it builds up is in the cup of the diffuser

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back