tank info

half a year old

air pump

strong flow filter

water change like 20-50 PERCENT a week

75g

medium planted

finnex planted crv 24/7 light

algae: staghorn (the black beard died off) brown, greenspot and some weird slime

For greenspot I actually just wipe it off the glass and I got some Nerite snails for it. Tried to battle it but lost due to the amount of light my living room gets

For staghorn I needed to introduce Co2 to reduce it, I got API algae removal which didn't do much, now I just pinch the algae of the plant when I'm cleaning the tank. Comes off easily. There are plenty of other plant fertilisers battling that issue but I find manual removal to be easier and less risky as I am still learning about keeping underwater plants - don't want to overdo it with different chemicals. Apparently Seachem Excel Flourish squirted directly to the algae does the job too, so if you have access to it it is a good start - I was told in two days staghorn can be gone :)

For greenspot I actually just wipe it off the glass and I got some Nerite snails for it. Tried to battle it but lost due to the amount of light my living room gets

For staghorn I needed to introduce Co2 to reduce it, I got API algae removal which didn't do much, now I just pinch the algae of the plant when I'm cleaning the tank. Comes off easily. There are plenty of other plant fertilisers battling that issue but I find manual removal to be easier and less risky as I am still learning about keeping underwater plants - don't want to overdo it with different chemicals. Apparently Seachem Excel Flourish squirted directly to the algae does the job too, so if you have access to it it is a good start - I was told in two days staghorn can be gone :)
Thank you, excel might be dangerous…
Ill pinch but on my delicate stem plant leaves it is hard to takenoff

I find pinching to be easy but absolutely HATE the feel of it on my skin, reminds me of spiders which I am really scared of so I'm not a fan of this cleaning method :D Let's see if there is anything better we can do :)

Nerite snails and a large colony of dwarf shrimp do a pretty good job with most algae. Usually I find I need to adjust lighting, feeding, nutrients. Getting fast-growing plants like frogbit can help too.

The weird slime is likely cyanobacteria, bluegreen algae, I have been fighting it a bit myself. On tank I totally cleaned all the substrate, the filter, even took the plants out and treated them, and I still get some developing in the tank. I never had this before then one day about a month ago it started up. I primarily use manual cleanup, wipe the leaves with my fingers and siphon up the pieces. So far I haven't the pleasure of staghorn or blackbeard algae . . . (. . . those are knocks on wood) I have one thought and that is that my tanks with aquarium soil seem more likely to have cyanobacteria.

First question is, are you talking common algae, or "problem" algae? Common algae is natural and will be present in any healthy aquarium. It will grow on all surfaces; snails, shrimp, some fish can easily deal with this, and a wipe of the inside front glass with a sponge at every weekly water change is all you need to be doing. Cyanobacteria is another issue, caused by excess organics in the presence of light.

Problem algae in a planted tank is different; here the problem is an imbalance of light/nutrients, nothing more. Establish or restore the balance, and end of problem algae. Never use algicides, add special algae-eating fish (they have their own issues usually), or resort to any chemical. If the light is of sufficient intensity and spectrum to provide what the plants require, and there are adequate nutrients in balance, you can control the algae with the duration of the lighting. I have not had black brush algae for over four or five years, since I worked out the balance of tank lighting duration, ambient window light, and fertilization.

I find pinching to be easy but absolutely HATE the feel of it on my skin, reminds me of spiders which I am really scared of so I'm not a fan of this cleaning method :D Let's see if there is anything better we can do :)
the ramshorns sometimes bite the algae tho
The weird slime is likely cyanobacteria, bluegreen algae, I have been fighting it a bit myself. On tank I totally cleaned all the substrate, the filter, even took the plants out and treated them, and I still get some developing in the tank. I never had this before then one day about a month ago it started up. I primarily use manual cleanup, wipe the leaves with my fingers and siphon up the pieces. So far I haven't the pleasure of staghorn or blackbeard algae . . . (. . . those are knocks on wood) I have one thought and that is that my tanks with aquarium soil seem more likely to have cyanobacteria.
aw man
i think mine is not bluegreen becasue it is just clear deitrus like stuff
First question is, are you talking common algae, or "problem" algae? Common algae is natural and will be present in any healthy aquarium. It will grow on all surfaces; snails, shrimp, some fish can easily deal with this, and a wipe of the inside front glass with a sponge at every weekly water change is all you need to be doing. Cyanobacteria is another issue, caused by excess organics in the presence of light.

Problem algae in a planted tank is different; here the problem is an imbalance of light/nutrients, nothing more. Establish or restore the balance, and end of problem algae. Never use algicides, add special algae-eating fish (they have their own issues usually), or resort to any chemical. If the light is of sufficient intensity and spectrum to provide what the plants require, and there are adequate nutrients in balance, you can control the algae with the duration of the lighting. I have not had black brush algae for over four or five years, since I worked out the balance of tank lighting duration, ambient window light, and fertilization.
yeah i had a huge light and it made a lot of algae
it is just a bit and i see tanks with just a tiny bit like this
1623127997091.png

my plants are fine but they all have some sorta slime on their leaves
or brown algae. :(
bba is out of the issue
i got rid of it :D
yes thank you
i will balance
i think it is that i did water changes too less...
30% a week or like 3 times a month is too less i think
the nitrates may add up maybe

Don't compare your tank to those sorts of pictures. They probably spend hours cleaning it and getting the lighting right and it may be photoshopped or edited in various ways. It probably doesn't look like that long-term and I'm sure it develops normal levels of algae. From the pictures I saw, your tank has totally normal levels of algae that are not harmful or unsightly in my opinion.

Don't compare your tank to those sorts of pictures. They probably spend hours cleaning it and getting the lighting right and it may be photoshopped or edited in various ways. It probably doesn't look like that long-term and I'm sure it develops normal levels of algae. From the pictures I saw, your tank has totally normal levels of algae that are not harmful or unsightly in my opinion.
Absolutely agree, I can pimp my tank for a photo and it will be absolutely spotless just to have it all wrecked in a day or two by fish, algae and breaking plants

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back