Algae? Diatoms? Thoughts?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

So now that I have a path forward on those issues any suggestions on the brown stuff growing on rocks an the cloudiness (or will changing lighting out and more floating plants and the timer fix that)?

Probably. I do think the light is on too long, and reducing that plus some floating plants will or should result in clearer water. And the algae will be hampered. What you look for in situations like here is not the algae disappearing, but not increasing. Once you have things balanced for that, removing the existing algae can be considered. I tend to leave it on wood and such, but plant leaves can sometimes be cut off if there is evidence of new leaf growth free of algae.

Probably. I do think the light is on too long, and reducing that plus some floating plants will or should result in clearer water. And the algae will be hampered. What you look for in situations like here is not the algae disappearing, but not increasing. Once you have things balanced for that, removing the existing algae can be considered. I tend to leave it on wood and such, but plant leaves can sometimes be cut off if there is evidence of new leaf growth free of algae.
I purchased a timer and set it for 9 hours. This weekend I can get to the lfs and get more plants. I have to wait on the substrate because the tetras cannot be moved yet with the fry in the smaller tank. Additionally I will likely be moving (not far) and will have to move the aquariums. Not sure if that would be a good time to put new substrate in as Iā€™ll have to empty the tank to move it. Iā€™ve researched the process and have a plan when that happens. Thank you for all of your help and sharing you vast knowledge!!!

I purchased a timer and set it for 9 hours. This weekend I can get to the lfs and get more plants. I have to wait on the substrate because the tetras cannot be moved yet with the fry in the smaller tank. Additionally I will likely be moving (not far) and will have to move the aquariums. Not sure if that would be a good time to put new substrate in as Iā€™ll have to empty the tank to move it. Iā€™ve researched the process and have a plan when that happens. Thank you for all of your help and sharing you vast knowledge!!!

Yes, change the substrate at the move. I have mnoved twice with fish tanks, once in 2000 and the second was this past May. It is indeed a very big job. And yes, the tank must be completely empty or there is a real danger the silicon seal will weaken and the glass may even crack. This move is highly stressful on fish of course, so once not twice is much better.

Most reactions

Back