Albino Cories Keep Swimming Against Aquarium Glass

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Revision17

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My roommate just got two albino cories for his 10 gallon tank. Water looks good to all tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), and the other fish are acting normally. Current stocking:
4 tiny tiger barbs
1 medium tiger barb - picks on the albinos when I flip the light on in the morning until it's fed (which I do immediately), the leaves them alone for the rest of the day
3 zebra danios
4 lemon tetras
2 albino corydoras

Except during feeding time, the albinos keep swimming back and forth across the front of the tank, almost all day. Sometimes they hang out in a corner close to the surface for about 15 minutes. The only time they are on the bottom of the tank is during feeding time (I break up and soak flakes in water and add them at the same time as dry flakes, so the soaked flakes sink the bottom), during which they happily vacuum up lots of flakes. Immediately after feeding, they head back to swimming back and forth against the glass.

Is this normal behavior? If not, is there anything that can be done to correct this?

LOL i have 15 small albino corys in my community planted tank

they do this a fair bit yes, they tend to do it as a group and seem to enjoy swimming against the flow of the internal filter

I have kept a breeding group of corys before in a different tank and noticed it too

I am sure its a good sign, i think its just "playful" behaviour, from what i can see from my lot!!! Like i said have had this in both my Cory set ups over the last year or so and i have kept approx 25-30 Corydoras and only had one death and that was an LFS one that died a week after i bought it

EDIT: if mine did it ALL the time i might be concerned, i would say mine do it about 10-20% of the time

i have 75 albino sterbai in a tank. you wanna see that lot go crazy LOL!!

its a normal trait of the albino corys which is why they are affectionately known as the pyscho cory LOL

Mine is doing it as I type. He always does it and as the above posted wrote "psycho corys" thats how we describe ours from the day we got him!

Yea, so the conclusion: the cories got taken back to petco (quite alive).

The tiger barbs were being super aggressive towards them, and even after one nip they flip out and do their thing (without a counter attack, like all the other fish normally do). Plus the bottom of the tank was gravel. To be perfectly honest, the sign at petco said "Albino Catfish", and the only type I had heard of before was the Albino Bristlenose (a pleco), so I got confused. I think they'll be happier in their tank with very passive fish at petco.

Yea, so the conclusion: the cories got taken back to petco (quite alive).

The tiger barbs were being super aggressive towards them, and even after one nip they flip out and do their thing (without a counter attack, like all the other fish normally do). Plus the bottom of the tank was gravel. To be perfectly honest, the sign at petco said "Albino Catfish", and the only type I had heard of before was the Albino Bristlenose (a pleco), so I got confused. I think they'll be happier in their tank with very passive fish at petco.

You did the right thing there. That's typical of corys, they have no aggression in them, so they're pretty helpless against aggression in others.

my brothers albinos did the same thing. until they got older and fat and lazy haha.
they're called wacko, yacko and dot. and they lived up to their names.

It was the best thing to do for the little guys. Most other catfish do attack back, but corys dont they just like to play with everybody. They shouldnt go in with fish that are territorial aswell because they love to swim everywhere in the tank.

I don't think it's just an albino Cory trait, I have a panda and an emerald who raised the panda as his own since the panda was no more than a fry when I got him and they frequently do the same thing. It seems like a social thing now but at first I was concerned that the water was messed up but after testing multiple times with the same result every time (perfect parameters for Cory's) I soon came to the conclusion that they just get bored and want to stretch out and get a look at the scenery around them. There's also a few shrimp, guppies, neon tetras, and a male betta. Had to remove the serpae tetras and platties because they were quite aggressive, even toward the betta who would just swim into his little fortress and not attack back. Cory's are great fish and quite entertaining, the emerald's name is Pierre because he looks like a little fat Frenchman with a moustache and the Panda's just called Panda because, well, he looks like a Panda.

My albino cories like it when at water change when I am pouring the new water back into the tank they will swim up against the "current" when I stop they swim away but as soon as I start pouring again their right there swimming :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back