Agressive Peal Gourami

nene

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently set up a 29 gallon community tank and after much research decided I just had to have a pair of Pearl Gouramis since they were described as peaceful and the nicest of all gouramis. Well I got 2 and they are about 1" each right now. I later put in 2 panda corys- no problem and them 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows- no problem. When if feed the others fish food I also put in a sinking tablet for the corys. Well this morning apparently one of the Pearl Gouramis discovered the sinking tablet and decided it was his. He then found out the the corys would run if he chased them. He now seems to consider it great sport to chase the corys, who by the way are my favorites. He ( I actually dont know if it is a he or she) has also been chasing the other gourami. Is this brat going thru a fishy puberty or is this probably only going to get worse? He is about to get a time out in a tank of his own. I would appreciate any input on this. :huh:

Sounds like a male gourami. Contrary to the books, my experience is that pearls are quite aggressive fish. However, they rarely do any real harm to other species except chase them. They are very territorial, and like to have a place to call home. Have you provided "caves", bogwood, plants to hide in or whatever?

I actually returned my most aggressive male to the LFS because I'd mistakenly bought 4 to start with. The second male is hen-pecked and extraordinarily shy. It's interesting to discover that fish have their own individual personalities.

Your gourami will probably settle down but the corys are schooling fish and would be a lot more likely to stand their ground if you had at least 6 of them. I recommend out-numbering your pearls!

When you feed your corys, try sprinkling some freeze-dried bloodworms on the surface of the water at the same time. Gouramis really go for those. Also, feed in the evening, after the tank lights are turned off. Gouramis can't see well in the dark.

In my experience, I'd say it's highly unlikely that the gourami will do any damage to the cories. However, I'd watch the two gouramis ... especially the one being bullied. They are extremely territorial, and sometimes two refuse to share a tank that size. The weaker fish can be bullied and harassed to death. Make sure to observe carefully; sometimes you just need to let them establish territories and pecking order and nobody actually gets hurt or too stressed.

;) All goruamis and bettas are fighters they chase each its part of nature. I live with it. If gets real bad seperate them. But they'll do it wether u like it or not

Thanks for all the advice. I found that instead of putting 2 small pieces of the sinking wafer for the cories, if I divide it into 3, the gourami has his and leaves the corys alone. I also spread the pieces out acoss the tank. The dominent gourami is not vicious towards the other gourami. Sometimes they are swimming together and sometimes the dominent one chases the other but not for long. He apparently just wants to make sure the other knows who is boss and the less dominent gourami seems to know its role. I think as they grow I may move them to a larger tank of their own maybe with a pleco. Thanks again for all the advice. I have never had a community tank before (basically just bettas) but I am learning that there are many dynamics involved with the fish working out the order of things in their water world. :)

Nene - sounds like you could have a mated pair of Gouramis there! Males have much larger finage than the females and as they get older the sex differences become more and more apparent.

Most reactions

Back