Aggressive Male White Cloud

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a little exasperated with one of my male white clouds. I originally had a 4 females left from a previous shoal (they are just over 5 years old now), and picked up 3 young ones to bring the numbers back up a little. Then, after these matured, it became clear that 2 were male, and one was extremely dominant, so much so that he took to defending a large clump of java moss (in the centre of the aquarium) from all the other white clouds who are confined to the tangled root mass on the right of the tank.

To try and displace this behaviour (as I would like to see my fish swimming around the tank) I added 8 more to bring the shoal up to a much larger 15 fish. This worked for about a day, but now I'm back to the same situation.

I don't really want to remove the male, as he is just exhibeting normal behaviour, defending a spawning site, and so have thought of adding a further small shoal of a larger, confident, active dither fish (such as zebra danios) to distract him and encourage the rest to be a little bolder.

Do you think this might work?

Cheers!

I'm puzzled myself, I have kept White Clouds for years and never really seen such territorial aggression. Perhaps you could remove the male and rearrange the tank decor a bit. Adding another schooling fish as dithers may help. Me personally have never had much luck with dithers, espcailly if its breeding aggression as such. I have found that the male of what ever species still don't care about the dithers and still would focus on the female or other male.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back