African Dwarf Frog With Missing Leg (possibly Fungus)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

froglett

Reaction score
I've been planning on getting 3 African dwarf frogs for my kids tank, to live with the 5 platys. (15 uk gallon tank).
I know it would be better to just have frogs, but the kids insisted on fish too. I went for platys because I was told they were the most compatible.

I went into the fish shop on friday with the intention to buy but they only had 1 left, in a tank with mollies, and the poor fella had a back foot missing. The shop are awaiting a new delivery. I was very tempted to get him but decided against it.
I did feel quite sad that I hadn't when I got home though as he was very cute.

I was back in the shop today and he was still there, still all alone apart from the mollies.
I decided to buy him so 'Timmy' is now in my tank. I know this was probably stupid buying a disabled frog, but I couldn't resist him the second time.

ETA..I've not seem him doing much swimming. he just seems to crawl along the bottom

He seems to have settled in ok, he's either been crawling around on the sand, or sitting in a fake plastic plant.
So far the fish haven't paid him any attention. They are leaving him alone.
I've never had a ADF before but he seems to be coping ok with the lost foot.

My concern is whether he has fungus. There is a bit of skin hanging off the end of his foot (looks the same colour and transparency as his webbing), but it seems to continue further up to his knee. (A white colour, like the skin is loose).
I'm not sure if this is fungus or just shedding? I hadn't noticed it in the shop.

The sales assistant in the shop said she thought he had been delivered with the missing foot, and he seemed to get around ok.

I will try and post a pic of it later, but if it is fungus how serious is this, and is it easy to treat? Or is it possible that just his leg is shedding?

I plan to get him a couple of friends next weekend, but obviously I'll have to make sure it's not fungus, and if it is treat it before adding any more frogs.

I really hope he'll be ok cos he is very cute.

20120930_185817-1.jpg

20120930_185854.jpg

20120930_185817.jpg

Here are some pics. Sorry they're not very clear. I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow when it's light.

What I really want to know is do I treat for fungus, and if so how?

Poor guy. He probably needs some type of antibacterial treatment to prevent or cure the open wound if it's not healed.
The missing back leg affects his ability to swim and he may not do well in general unless you go the extra mile. Is he able to go to the surface to breathe?

I can reply on frogletts behalf (my wife)

The leg looks all healed up from what we can see it's just this fluff on it.
It's found a place it likes near the filter where there's a fake plant that goes all the way to the surface. It hides in there and climbs up it as well so getting to the surface isn't a problem and it can swim well enough in open water.
It's target fed to ensure it has enough to eat and doesn't have to forage for food so no problems there either.

We've only had it a day so we''ll keep an eye on it tomorrow for any changes and if it isn't shedding then we'll treat it with meds.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back